Korg SDD3000 settings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starkj

Babyface
Hey all,

anybode here who owns a Korg SDD3000? I just recently purchased one. From before I also have a Memory Man. I play a Fender Tele through a Fender Blues Jr. amp. Not exactly the best setup in order to try and recreate Edge's sound, but I can get quite close still...

I've searched everywhere, but haven't yet found info regarding the settings of the SDD3000 for specific songs. I have the delay times for many songs, but I'd very much like in particular to know about the modulation settings. I've gotten pretty close with both Streets and Still Haven't Found..., but I haven't exactly been able to nail the sound. I don't (yet) own Herdim picks, a Vox AC30 or a black 70's Strat, but...

I haven't yet tried to connect the Memory Man to the SDD3000 to try to create double/chained delays. Any experiences here among the forum users? I can tweak and tweak for ages, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
John
Helsinki, Finland

As unbelievable as it sounds, Edge changes his delay a lot from night. He might use 450ms 1 night, 440ms the next, 460 the next, and 410 the next. A lot of this has to do with them altering the click tracks, so he remains in time or so. Try of find a tempo calculator and you can get close to his settings. He usually adjusts within 20ms give or take of whatever pattern he uses for that song (3/16 1/8 etc)

Notice if you calcucaltor say 436ms, and then go to 440ms the song will seem to slow slightly, or go to 430ms and the song will seem to speed up slightly. It's all subliminal.

I have a SDD2000, and the sounds are supposedly very differant (I've never tried a SDD3000 in person), but I can tell you it's easy to dial a "New York" style vibratolike chorus with it. I would suggest keeping the modulation very minimal for the most part though.

jcoriha said:

I have a SDD2000, and the sounds are supposedly very differant (I've never tried a SDD3000 in person), but I can tell you it's easy to dial a "New York" style vibratolike chorus with it. I would suggest keeping the modulation very minimal for the most part though.

Hey jcoriha,

thanks for your response. That's what I've come up with also - I've kept both of the modulation knobs at a setting of around 2, so they don't change the echoed sounds so much, but slightly... But it is lovely to find a certain delay time and being able to play certain riffs with that particular setting. I really love the sound of the SDD3000, got to be heard to understand it!

John

in the Gutiar World interview Edge talks about using 2 delays and really changing up the modulation. . . i'll try to figure out what he says.

discothequeLP said:
in the Gutiar World interview Edge talks about using 2 delays and really changing up the modulation. . . i'll try to figure out what he says.
Yeah, I've read the article - I bought the paper immediately when it hit the stores here in Helsinki... An interesting article, but not quite satisfying from a pure technical point-of-view. The list of Edge's effects is good, and I've made a detailed list of them all myself using information from both that article and info from the former u2sound.com-site, such a shame that it doesn't exist anymore. The list is quite exact, but of course nobody knows the signal chain?

But anyway, thanks discothequeLP if you're trying to figure out what Edge really does with the two delays!

Back
Top Bottom