Korg A3 - Do I need a blank Atari card to download cards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
I've just bought a Krg A3 on ebay, but it didn't come with any cards, and I need to load some presets from the SPC-01 card on to it... Will I have to get one of those Atari cards, or is there enough memory on the korg itself for the presets?

Also, what program should I use to install the SPC-01 crd on my korg? I'm downloading the card from korgaseries.org...

Well yes, I know HOW to load the presets, but did you have a blank memory card in your korg, or is it able to store the presets itself?

And also, when you connect your PC to the Korg, how to you copy the presets on to the korg? Like, does the Korg come up in my computer, or do I have to download a program to make it work?

Last edited:
When you do it replaces the standard presets on your A3. So it is advisable to make a copy of those once your PC first. And you need a program to copy/upload these SPC cardsettings to and fro your A3. I can't remember which I used, but you should be able to find more information on http://www.korgaseries.org/

hatrickpatrick said:
Well yes, I know HOW to load the presets, but did you have a blank memory card in your korg, or is it able to store the presets itself?

And also, when you connect your PC to the Korg, how to you copy the presets on to the korg? Like, does the Korg come up in my computer, or do I have to download a program to make it work?

I bought a USB-MIDI adapter because my laptop doesn't have a serial port, and although the cable was about $30, it works just fine.

You tell the Korg to accept the dump, then you initiate it through a sysex program on your machine. Sysex97 (to which there is a link on the korgaseries website) worked pretty well for me, and is dead easy.

No, you don't need a card in to load the SPC-01 presets, but you will wipe whatever's on it already.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because if the original presets are on it, you can simply restore them with a factory reset.

Once you upload the card patches onto the A3, you can store them to your card so that you'll have a spare (and quickly loaded) copy available if you change something and want to restore the SPC-01 (or other card) presets to "unmessed with".

I just bought a used A3 off Reverb.com and I wanna get patches onto it. Will I need a usb to midi AND a memory card or just usb to midi? Also, anyone know where I can get a memory card for cheap/reasonable prices if i do need one? Found a few on ebay but they are all around $100 and i figured they should be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom