Kemper amps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MackTheCasbah

The Fly
this is not like serious thread, so feel free to just casually exchange opinion on this.
I was looking at Matt Bellamy's newer rig set-ups, and I was surprised that he was not only he was using Axe-Fx, but also he was using kemper. He used to use massive ( I mean, serious amount of )rigs with multiple heads and tons of rack effects. I believe that Edge might do very similar for next tour. I kind of wanna know whether Edge possibly tried Kemper or not, and wanna ask you guys whether Kemper is the next thing for Amps on tour?

here's his rig: imgur: the simple image sharer

this is not like serious thread, so feel free to just casually exchange opinion on this.
I was looking at Matt Bellamy's newer rig set-ups, and I was surprised that he was not only he was using Axe-Fx, but also he was using kemper. He used to use massive ( I mean, serious amount of )rigs with multiple heads and tons of rack effects. I believe that Edge might do very similar for next tour. I kind of wanna know whether Edge possibly tried Kemper or not, and wanna ask you guys whether Kemper is the next thing for Amps on tour?

here's his rig: imgur: the simple image sharer

I really think Edge's touring rig will be smaller than in the past. I don't think it will be Axe FX only. Probably a few other items and a pedal drawer or more of boutique pedals.

I think sounds will be ran direct + plus a few amps in isolation boxes under the stage.

Rumor has it they will play 'in the round' (stage in the center of the arena). If this is the case, like 360 sight-lines would be an issue - more so than outdoors. So there is a chance that there will be a very clean stage with any amps in isolation boxes under the stage.

Time will tell for sure but I do think the days of a giant rack and stacks of amps on stage - have passed.

^I don't think it's very likely, but they can mix the direct signals and amps. Even in the Apple event, he used Fender Tweed, so...... Vox should be there as well. Let's look at the rig at Jools Holland show and see what happens.

^I don't think it's very likely, but they can mix the direct signals and amps. Even in the Apple event, he used Fender Tweed, so...... Vox should be there as well. Let's look at the rig at Jools Holland show and see what happens.

Its possible he would be using the amps like elevation tour. He used the pods a lot for guitar signal to mixer.

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

^yeah, forgot about that! But the fact that he went to mixing the amp to get the distortion kind of tell me that he didnt like POD sound as much......

this is a answer received from Custom Audio Electronics a moths ago that i saw recently talking about the Fractal Axe that edge will use...

"However, I DO know the Axe is used for amp modeling as well as effects, and yes it takes HOURS of experimentation. The 4x expression pedals were provided to take advantage of the 4x ports on the RST foot controller (how they are utilized remains to be seen), and CAE loop switching was added to allow for tried and true analog effects that are not easily duplicated by the AxeFX. It is important to note this system doesn't replace anything...its just another means for creativity."

these words "specially last two lines" seems that the Fractal will be the same that was the Pod Pro in 2001 or Digitech in 1997... I would like that..

^Rockhound, Im sure that Edge like to just try things out. and it's funny that both Digitech in Popmart and Pod for recent tours are both used for distortion, mainly.

....Okay, I have listened to the online radio The Tone King did, and he was talking to Bob Bradshaw. He said that, in the interview, Edge's rack will be single rack with simpler system and newer pieces. I guess what we may see on Graham Norton show or Jools Holland might be tour rig (or something close).

Someone in Fractal Audio forum met Dallas Schoo in NAMM and told him/her that Kemper send the Edge some stuff, which makes me think that real amps will disappear from the stage for this tour....I mean, even Gary Holt, guy from Exodus said that Kemper is amazing, so feels like yeah, we don't need tube amps anymore???

link to that thread on Fractal forum: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/95399-u2.html#post1142239

I don't know this is really a true story, thou.

I've been watching a lot of artist guitar rigs vids from premier guitar on youtube and an increasing number of them use AxeFX and other modelers already.

Tube amps sound awesome, no doubt about that. But they can be quite mercurial. And life on the road does not tend to be good for them. Modeling on the other hand gets better and better with every year it would seem, not to mention that unlike tubes modeling technology is quite stable. Perfect for live situations. So tubes for recording and modeling for on the road. Maybe the odd cab on stage so the guitarist can play with feedback.

There will be probably always be a few tone purists who insist on using tube amps live. And of course heavy metal bands who have to have those walls of Marshall cabs. Of course more often then not most of those are already empty and/or for show.

I've seen coupe of rigs with Axe only as an effects but not a lot of Axe for both amp-sims and effects, for some reason. Though there are tons of prog-metal bands that do that, like Periphery or Animals as Leaders.
I just wonder the Edge would like Kemper, I mean, it will be much more convenient for him as that unit can totally replace Line 6 stuff or even some distortion pedals! I mean, there are high-gain emulations like Dual Rec or JCM series in kemper thing,so

The Edge strikes me as the kind of guy who is a tone purist. After all, he's the kind of guy who can hear the difference between 20 different guitars, many of them the same brand/model. He would probably use the Kemper to get certain sounds, but retire his tube amps? I don't really expect so.

Let us also not forget that most guitarists who use Axe-FX and Kemper do not have the services of a Dallas Schoo and a whole bevy of roadies. The guy is basically Edge's guitar butler. When its just you who has to haul your gear around then portability tends to become a little more important then the perfect tone.

I know but my thought is that the Edge may want consistency in his tone; in the TTK interview I've posted in this thread (under different name), Bob Bradshaw said that the Edge want Axe-Fx because old units may break, and they will sound different day-by-day especially because he's using IEM and he can really tell difference. Im not sure he;s gonna all the way to use emulated amps but I'm sure if his original Vox amp is replaced for something newer, i wont be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom