Jay Turser Guitars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Hi all. I'm in the market for a guitar, but my price range is between $200-$300. A lot of my local shops have Jay Turser brands and they look and feel pretty nice.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever owned one. If so, how was your experience?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My first guitar was a Jay Turser stratocaster copy. Got it for around $200 back in 2001. Kept it for about 10 years, never had any issues with it, it was a quality instrument that sounded great through my Champion 30 amp, and I think it was a great deal in that price range. The craftsmanship and finish were very nice, the guy at the music store was enthusiastic about their rather large collection of Jay Tursers, and a friend of mine had gotten one and recommended it. I never had any setup done but right off the shelf the strings were nice and low so it was a great learner electric guitar. It was lots of fun to play, and I remember it feeling lighter than a real stratocaster or telecaster - yet it didn't feel or look cheap. I've never played live, just a home hobbyist and it suited my needs just fine. It did what it was supposed to do and sounded great to my ears.

At some point I ended up trading it in at Guitar center. Despite a few dings they gave me probably around $50 for it (can't remember exactly but it wasn't too shabby). There was nothing wrong with it, there were just too many other guitars that I wanted and the accumulation in my den started getting to be too much.

The single coil pickups I'm sure were some cheapies, but even if you get a cheap guitar you always upgrade the pickups. I did so recently on an entry-level Jaguar and the difference was surprisingly big. I personally think it's better to buy cheaper guitars and then invest the extra money to soup them up, than it is to buy a really expensive guitar.

Hope this helps - I know mine was from a while back, but I had no regrets in purchasing it.

My first guitar was a Jay Turser stratocaster copy. Got it for around $200 back in 2001. Kept it for about 10 years, never had any issues with it, it was a quality instrument that sounded great through my Champion 30 amp, and I think it was a great deal in that price range. The craftsmanship and finish were very nice, the guy at the music store was enthusiastic about their rather large collection of Jay Tursers, and a friend of mine had gotten one and recommended it. I never had any setup done but right off the shelf the strings were nice and low so it was a great learner electric guitar. It was lots of fun to play, and I remember it feeling lighter than a real stratocaster or telecaster - yet it didn't feel or look cheap. I've never played live, just a home hobbyist and it suited my needs just fine. It did what it was supposed to do and sounded great to my ears.

At some point I ended up trading it in at Guitar center. Despite a few dings they gave me probably around $50 for it (can't remember exactly but it wasn't too shabby). There was nothing wrong with it, there were just too many other guitars that I wanted and the accumulation in my den started getting to be too much.

The single coil pickups I'm sure were some cheapies, but even if you get a cheap guitar you always upgrade the pickups. I did so recently on an entry-level Jaguar and the difference was surprisingly big. I personally think it's better to buy cheaper guitars and then invest the extra money to soup them up, than it is to buy a really expensive guitar.

Hope this helps - I know mine was from a while back, but I had no regrets in purchasing it.

Thanks! Yeah, I ended up purchasing a Les Paul copy, Jay Turser brand and so far I'm really happy with it. It has a better sound than the Epiphone Les Paul I used to have. Since I'm at a point in my life where I doubt I'll be playing live anytime soon, this fits my needs for sure.

Thanks again for offering your feedback. :)

Back
Top Bottom