it?s all about bass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
Dorian, hope you found my post
smile.gif

I?m not in a band right now. People have been promising me positions in their band, but so far nothing
frown.gif
i hate that.

I?ve got 2 basses. One really cheap one, bought 3rd (if not 4th) hand, no brand at all. My second one is an Ibanez Soundgear 4 string. It is a very good one, nice slim neck, very light, lovely to play.

What about you?
smile.gif

------------------
~ I could easily give up choclate but I'm not a quitter~

Yay AM! Finally, I bass post!
smile.gif

BTW, how are you? Haven't seen you 'round much, you been playing lots lately or still busy?
frown.gif

Hi Dorian! Welcome, welcome!
smile.gif

JT

Originally posted by J-Tree:
Yay AM! Finally, I bass post!
smile.gif

BTW, how are you? Haven't seen you 'round much, you been playing lots lately or still busy?
frown.gif

I?ve been around and posting. I?ve just not been on chat for a while. And things were kinda ugly here for a while - that?s when Am gets quiet.

So how are you girl? I finally got myself together and learned Trip through your wires and I?m amazed just how much fun it is to play the song. It has never been one of my favourites, but now I just love to play it.

It was my birthday a little while ago and guess what my family got me: bassstrings
biggrin.gif
I couldn?t believe it. But it?s actually a cool gift.

So tell me about your instruments, folks (DorianGray, you?re a guy, right?)

------------------

Sorry for the delay in posting - been too busy here.

Anyway here's my story:
I've been playing for a while - seriously though for only about a year. (yes I'm a guy)

My main bass is a new Fender Hot Rodded P-bass. It's got the the J and P pickups - very nice bottom end tone, I love it. My other bass, which was my first, is a Gibson P-bass replica. Currently I'm using a combo amp, but I'm looking into getting an Ashdown cab and head (Ashdown is what Adam is currently using and I love its great subharmonic function - which is capable of rearranging internal organs)

I love playing Adam's lines, you can really get into the pocket and just sit back. When playing his lines you can easily understand why he's so cool and in control on stage.

I wonder how many other bassists are on Interference?

Got that one, probably need to buy another copy because the original is so dog eared and mangled from reading. It's a great interview, plus I like the tabs.

Hey AM:

How's it going girl? You getting excited yet? The boys are coming to town soon huh?
wink.gif

I'm okay. Hit a dead spot right now because of summer. I haven't been playing any new songs lately. The last one I was working on was "Please" but I never really got around to playing it in it's beautiful entirety.

I'm in the process of finding myself a new bass teacher at the moment. I'm not really having any luck since it's summer and since I'm not really all that motivated right now. What I really need right now is a stereo in my room, that way, I don't have to drag my bleedin' amp around!
mad.gif

Bass strings for your birthday? Sweet!
biggrin.gif

Good to see you're doing okay. I'm in chat ocassionally, right now. It's too time consuming and I can't seem to handle the lack of sleep the next day.

Peace,
JT

Oh sorry. Forgot about what I'm playing.
redface.gif

Right now I'm running a black Fender Jazz (Standard) through a Yorkville 15" combo amp. I can't really afford any more than that right now.
frown.gif
I'm hoping to upgrade to an Ashdown 800 in the future and leave my Yorkville as a practice amp.

Erm, my bass is strung with Rotosound strings, standard gauge. I don't know if I like them yet. They're kinda weird when I play high. I'm not a huge treble fan... I usually find that I have to turn treble down when I listen to U2 because of the Edge!!!
eek.gif
What strings are you guys using? Any suggestions?

That's about it for me.
Main influences: ADAM (duh!)
Flea, John Taylor, Stewart Zender, and Pino Palladino... of course, I'm sure this list will grow as I learn.
smile.gif

Peace,
JT

J-Tree - you think Adam is willing to give us a few lessons?
biggrin.gif

I?m looking for a teacher as well. My old one moved without asking me! But I know this guy, he?s a professional double bass player and he is willing to give me lessons. I?ve been thinking of trying to play the real thing (double bass) and I just might give it a try. The sound of a double bass is absolutely mindblowing. The bad thing about it is thought that I?d had to learn a lot of classic stuff. But maybe that?s ok. I might become a much better bass player. Like Sting maybe (sorry, I?m dreaming again). What do you think?

Do you guys know if Adam plays double bass??

------------------

Don't know if Adam plays double bass, I'm sure he could, and I'm nearly 100% positive a double bass has never been on an album.

Where are you all from? I'm here in Washington DC.

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

Well, personally, I'd have to reccomend Dean Markley Flatwounds. They don't tear my fingers apart, and it's much easier to slide up and down the strings. The only problem is that I've found that they don't stay in tune quite as well as other strings. Nothing serious, just a little higher maintenance, I guess. I love them!

-Mike

I can't comment on bass lessons, as I'm self taught, but $20 (US) per hour is what my brother's drum teacher charged, and that seemed like the going rate.

Mike

Hi Mike, another bass-player, that?s great!!!

I?m from Iceland, small town way up north, but I?ll be in Reykjavik in autumn to finish college.

BTW - I talked to this guy and it looks like I?m going to get some double bass lessons this autumn
smile.gif
smile.gif
What are you guys paying for lessons? My man asks for $20 per lesson!?!?

Well, the bass is a cheap new Peavey fury. Not the highest quality, but I kinda like the sound actually. I'll get something a little more well made when I have the cash.
My amp is a different story. I found a great deal on a 1967 Fender Bassman, absolutely perfect condition. That thing has a great sound! I got that in the same shop where I bought an original analog EH Memory Man Deluxe (AKA the Edge delay) on the cheap, even though I don't play guitar. Call me stupid....

Mike

Edit: Wrong smiley...whoops!

[This message has been edited by Mike P (edited 07-23-2001).]

AM: Adam? Give lessons? SIGN ME UP BAY-BEE! LOL!

At the moment, I'm pulling $20 through the nose per lesson. I found a teacher!
smile.gif

LOL @ the Edge delay... never heard it described as that.

*waves her Canadian flag*
smile.gif
I should post more often... then it doesn't look like I'm trying to say a million things at once! LOL

So it looks like that $20 is what you have to pay for lessons. That?s ok then.

I?m glad you found a teacher, J-Tree. I bought the book I?m supposed to have for my lessons next autumn and I really got a shock. It?s all classical stuff. I propably end up in the sinfonic orchestra and not in a rock?n?rock band.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

Okay, here's a strange question... exactly what does it mean when your bass playing is described as "dubby" sounding?

Not that I'm a dubby bass player, per se. Just something I read the other day...

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question.

"dubby" must be the creation of a stoned journalist. never heard it. could link it to "dub"? and now what is this musical genre called dub?
so i would define dubby as a kind of contrary to slappy? not a hard tuff slap funk bass but a warm sound, maybe a little distortion feeling, long notes filling all the bar.
but this is just my interpretation.
go ahead real bass players!

Ok here's kind of a definition of "dubby bass" - most bass sound heard in dance tracks, and hip-hop, etc. is usually dubby bass, it's that low, undefined thumping.

that?s interesting, never knew that, but then again, english is only my 3rd language.

------------------
'Sometimes I wish I was as gifted as Edge on his guitar or Bono on his lyrics or Adam is on other things.' ~ Larry

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 07-29-2001).]

Originally posted by AM:
Has someone tried online bass-lessons? Any experiance???

Some of the bass lessons are good, and keep things interesting (try activebass.com ) - but I can't really do it unless I'm jamming with others or reading a book, my brain just won't consume a lot of text or other stuff from off a computer screen, just a personal preference.

I'm not one for online lessons. I dunno why, but chord charts and drawings mean squat to me. It's like a foreign language.

But I guess what's worse is when a guitar player is trying to teach you to play bass. I find that *almost* insulting...

*JT grips her keyboard in preparation for the brutal flaming which awaits her!*

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question.

Originally posted by J-Tree:
But I guess what's worse is when a guitar player is trying to teach you to play bass. I find that *almost* insulting...

I know what you mean. I also want to slap people?s faces whenever I?m told that people who are not good enough to play guitar play bass
mad.gif
Now that?s insulting.

Anyway, it lokks like I?m in a band now
smile.gif
Met some guys last weekend and we decided that we?re going to get together and make some noice
smile.gif
smile.gif
Can?t wait.

------------------
The world is but one country and mankind its citizens. ~ Bah?'u'll?h

My brother plays guitar and he's always saying that bassists can't handle having to play on more than one or two strings at a time, etc.

One time I had this guitarist "teaching" me about guitar, and how if you learn guitar bass playing is easy. So I pulled out my bass handed it to him and said, "Ok show me then."

He looked at it like it was some alien artifact then said "Man this thing is huge, and the neck, how do you play up down this thing?" Then he tried to play it and he says "Man these strings are huge. Doesn't this tear your fingers up?"

Lesson: Next time a guitarist is talking smack about the bass, hand him/her your bass and watch them. They handle a bass like it's a slippery fish out of water. Plus most guitarists don't have the mindset or self-confidence to play bass. We bassists are absolutely fine with standing in the back, thumping away and not drawing any attention.

I wonder if any guitarists will read this part of the thread? Maybe I should put on a helmet and flak jacket.

Back
Top Bottom