it?s all about bass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes- I have RETURNED - the bass thread will never die.

It will just continue to thump in the background.

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

so any news, any new bass guitars, amps, etc.

I just put on new strings, but I hate them. What are you guys using?

what is Adam using and where can I get his strings?

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

I'm using a set of Bass Boomers right now... they're actually really nice.

What kind of strings are you playing with AM? (for future reference)

------------------
SlipStream Soul

Finishing my bass project- defretted and refinishing an old bass and trying to make it look like an old 1962 P-Bass. I've even got the old pick-up and bridge covers. Should look nice after I'm done- a fretless 1962 sunburst P-Bass.

As for amps I'm all over Ashdowns (and yes Adam using them)

As far as I know Adam uses DR Handmade Sunbeam bass strings.
http://www.drstrings.com/products.htm

Hope all is well fellow thumpers.

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

wow Dorian, you bass project really sounds cool. Post a pic of it, once it?s done, will you?
smile.gif

I doubt that I can get Sunbeam strings over here. But I might just try to order some oneline. I?d really love to try them.

As for the strings I use right now. They are LaBella HRS strings, but as I said before I don?t like them. But I don?t have any spare ones and there is no music shop in my town. Sometimes it really sucks to live in a small town.

But hey, I?m going to perform tomorrow. Nothing big, just the local music school wants to get some musicians to play a few songs tomorrow.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

*looks around thread* Ummmm....as most of you probably know I'm the newbie bassist chick. Heh. I got a Fender P-bass Standard (in Midnight Wine) and a little tiny amp.
biggrin.gif
I've had my beautiful bass since Feb 24th. I can half way kinda sorta eek out WOWY...sort of. lol I got a nice easy to follow bass book so I can learn on my own for a while (did I mention I've never played a guitar in my life? lol). Anywho, I'll hang around here and see if I can pick up some pointers...carry on.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Official Statement from Me: Do not be alarmed. This purchase of a bass has not affected my overwhelming undying I wanna stalk...err talk to Lardence. :D Drums are too complicated and expensive! lol

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
*crickets*

????

Anyway, I?m going to play again next Tuesday and Thursday and it looks like I?m gettin a band together.... I?m really excited about this
smile.gif

------------------

Yay, just located a shop that sells Sunbeam strings!!! Going to place my order now
icon14.gif

------------------

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
So this is probably a silly newbie question...but what's the difference between flatwound and roundwound?

*hugs Clarity*

it's not silly hun...
smile.gif

flatwound strings are strings who's cores are wrapped with a flat "tape" of metal as opposed to roundwounds who's cores are wrapped with a "thread" of metal.

I hope I'm making sense. Um... sometimes it's easiest to just take a look at the strings when you're buying them. Flatwound strings will feel smoother as opposed to roundwounds.

*looks to AM for some discriptive help!*

------------------
SlipStream Soul

I was going to say something about the different types of strings, but I found this here in the bass faq.
smile.gif

What are the different types of strings?

There are two main types of strings, roundwound and flatwound. The roundwound type is most commonly used now, whereas the flatwound was more popular in the Motown era. All wound strings are made by holding one strand of wire straight and then wrapping one or more layers of additional wire around that "core" wire. Roundwound
strings use a round wire as the wrap, while flatwound strings are wound with a flat ribbon wire. Roundwound strings provide a much brighter sound but also emphasize squeaks. Flatwound strings have a duller sound, but don't have as much extraneous noise. Roundwound strings tend to lose their brightness after some period of time, but may be rejuvenated by boiling in vinegar or detergent solutions or soaking in alcohol. Flatwound strings tend to maintain a more constant tone.

James Jamerson used flatwound strings on his Precision Bass and is said to have only changed strings if he broke one. There are also some variations on these two types, such as the pressurewound strings which have the round wrap wire slightly flattened as it is wrapped around the core.In addition, some manufacturers freeze their strings, which is supposed to add to the string's brightness and/or longevity. One manufacturer is even black-anodizing their strings!

for more info check this: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/tbl-faq-11.txt

------------------

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 03-10-2002).]

I?ve only played roundwounds so far, but now after reading this stuff from bass faq, I might try flatwounds.

You think that it?s true that James Jamerson only changed broken strings????

------------------

*takes meganotes* *goes to website* freeze their strings! adonizing them! oi. I didn't think strings were so complicated. I guess they should be though!

don?t worry, Clarity. Just get a decent set of strings from time to time and replace the old ones (always replace a whole set, even if you just broke one!!!) I never bother with cleaning my strings the way the bass faq does. Too much trouble.

------------------

I?ve used Ernie Ball Slinky?s (the most common ones in Iceland) and LaBella?s, but I?m going to change to Sunbeams (when my order finally arrives).

But check out earlier posts in this thread to see what Dorian and J-tree are using.

------------------

ewww... Slinky's... *shivers* I hated those...

I'm playing on some GHS Bass Boomers right now... and I'm really liking them. I've also tried Rotosound - which is pretty good.

------------------
SlipStream Soul

Originally posted by J-Tree:
ewww... Slinky's... *shivers* I hated those...

lol, why do you think I?m changing??? But some pleople like them - maybe because they?re cheap

------------------

I use regular Fender bass strings (round and flatwound). Some strings sound too metallic for me- not my sound. Flatwound strings are great too- you can close your eyes when somebody is playing flatwounds and you can feel that they're playing flats. The sound is extremely heavy and deep. It's probably worth noting that flatwounds were the most prevalent type of string when electric basses were invented.

Originally posted by AM:
I?ve used Ernie Ball Slinky?s (the most common ones in Iceland) and LaBella?s, but I?m going to change to Sunbeams (when my order finally arrives).

But check out earlier posts in this thread to see what Dorian and J-tree are using.

Just to update the never-ending Bass refurb project:
- Finished the electronics this weekend. I ordered '62 P-Bass pots, knobs, and a pickguard (a nice mock-tortoise shell one) from Fender and put in some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-Bass pickups.
- Finished the neck- it's now got a fretless neck and some new Schaller machine heads- the nice retro clover leaf heads.

All that's left is to finish the body (which is going to be a pain in the ass).

Later y'all.

------------------
------------------

pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

wow, Dorian, this really sounbs great. I can?t wait to see it

Promise to post a pic when you?re finished?? Please

------------------

Ummm...so does a bass player really use all four fingers on their left hand?? lol Cause all but my pointer finger are useless at this point! lol *pathetic* lol

You better learn to use all your fingers, simply because you can play so much faster.

Practize and stretch them until you have all your 4 fingers in a different fret.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom