Is it ok to plug an iPod into an amplifier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I know I can do it, but is it ok to do it? The amp in question is a Vox AD30 VT.

If its not ok, in the sense that you shouldn't plug a bass into a guitar amp, then Ill use my little crappy amp. If its not ok in the sense that the universe will explode, Ill steer clear. :)

It doesn't sound the best. I have a VoxAD100. It works best if you use the effects send/return. But you cant play guitar while your ipod is in. As for whether its ok for the amp, it is, but then again I also sometimes play bass through my guitar amps too :wink:

So...it wont damage the amp? Thats my main worry.

Basically, my brother keeps playing his hi-fi too loud, and with crap radio music. So I wanna show him who's boss. :wink:

You can't damage it if you keep the volume down a bit. I actually play bass on my Vox AD30VT since I don't own a bass amp(Yet!!!). The guy at the store told me to keep the volume under 5, and since I play at home it doesn't go over 2 or 3 anyway and it works fine.

:hmm: But I've never heard someone put his music trough an amp though. How would that sound?

It works quite well! but the problem is, the iPod is stereo and the amp plays mono, so its playing as though theres a speaker missing (as it were). Ill have to go out tomorrow and see if I can get a mono jack converter, since I think thats what I need to mono-fy it.

Plus, its loud at under 1/4, so theres potential for some serious wall shaking. :drool:

:shifty: That sounds really interesting. Maybe I should try that some day.

You can get a mono jack converter at any music store as far as I know, or perhaps a handyman store too. :hmm:

Most likely a computer or laptop --> DI --> FOH. That way they can also use a click track to keep themselves in sync. And I've seen lots of drummers use laptops this way where I work but still not single one using an iPod. The drummer of one of my bands wants to use an external sound card so he can send out a stereo backing track to the FOH and send a third click track signal to himself. I'm sure about the details because when he starts talking drums, I as a guitarist begin to zone out. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom