Is Edge a Great Guitarist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Sarajevo

Babyface
I wanna know what people think of the edge as a guitarist. In terms of technical ability, imagination, use of technology etc. Does he rate alongside the greats such as Hendrix, Clapton, Slash, Page etc? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

I think he is one of the most important and influential guitarists of his time but then again I know guitarists who laugh at his technical ability and would class him as just a rhythm guitarist. What do you think?

well, i have heard someone (i think it mightve been bono or someone close to the band) say edge is 20% guitarist, 80% percent technical genious. i would tend to agree with that on the most part.. tho i would up the "guitarist" percentage a little more. i think that what he might lack in physical ability he makes up for ten fold with his imagination and originality. BUT... just go listen to the live zoo tv and popmart solos in bullet the blue sky... its AMAZING. bill flanagan said at the berlin zoo show his solo went off into uncharted waters... it was an ACID solo. this is true, i have the show. and as a guitar player, i can say its not exactly easy to play - not the fast bits. so... edge is a genious. no doubt. he is my biggest inspiration. he is where i want to be. and i will be....

edge is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. end of story!

Hey I'm no guitar player,so my thinking can be a bit irrational.
but just as a listener I think what that riff from with or without you did to the song not even the best of lead guitarist can't do with their everso predictable solo.
Edge is a great guitarist,no doubt.Also I think the fly solo has to be one of the best solo of all time,it really sends chill down my spine.

I do play a bit of guitar (not very well though). I personally feel that technical abbilities are just a starting point. A lot of guys are technical good guitar players, but still can't make a living out of playing music. If you lack imagination and creativity, you get nowhere.
I really believe Edge is the best.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Captive I've heard some of the live stuff. His solo's on Love is Blindness and Bullet the Blue Sky are amazing. Same thing with All Along the Watchtower and Hawkmoon 269 from the Lovetown tour. He seems to save the great solo's for the live shows! I'm hoping that for the new album we get 5 or 6 great Edge guitar solo's and that he doesn't save them for the live shows. I agree that in terms of imagination he is one of the best guitarists ever!

first off watch your mouth roon og, this is a U2 fan forum on U2 fan's web site so don't say anything that can offend lots of people.By the way if you're indicating humor then you can use a lots of cool icons as we all do, just to clear the air.
As for technical abilities read what peoplr are saying, then comment, everyone accepts that Edge may not be a great solo guitarist but the fact of the matter is his guitar sound is much much better than most solos.Atleast to me.Just Listen to WOWY,no solo can match that effect.As for Bono's falsetto I think only Edge can compliment that,I think you've got your facts wrong I'm listening to one right now and Edge is giving a beautiful backdrop.

There is no doubting that The Edge is one of the great guitarists of our generation but I just dont think he lives up to the remarkable technical genius of Ritchie Sambora.
Also, when Bono bursts into a bout of falseto I think it puts the bald guitarist off somewhat!!!

Originally posted by Mr Sarajevo:
I wanna know what people think of the edge as a guitarist. In terms of technical ability, imagination, use of technology etc. Does he rate alongside the greats such as Hendrix, Clapton, Slash, Page etc? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

I think he is one of the most important and influential guitarists of his time but then again I know guitarists who laugh at his technical ability and would class him as just a rhythm guitarist. What do you think?

Ishkash I was shocked to here such an emotive response to my comments. There is no doubting the edges ability but I just think you need to broaden your horizons and accept that he may not be the greatest guitarist in the world. If you listen to Sambora in songs such as Dead or Alive, Always or even the new Its my life, you will here the guitar being played at its technical best, and you will here Sambora and Jon Bon playing as one in total harmony. Just broaden your damm horizons Ishkash. (whats with the name?)

You've got serious Sambora problem roon og.I'm gonna write it on stone and send it to ya that Sambora has a brilliant technique.Happy.
But The Edge is a better guitarist.Not happy.Sorry for you.

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 07-22-2000).]

I really don't know how this argument got started. I mean, really, to compare Bon Jovi to U2 is a bit of a joke (in my opinion only!). I respect that you are a fan, roon og, but this is one thread that I can't resist responding to! I hate Bon Jovi! (there, that's cleared the air a bit - nothing like a bit of brutal honesty!). But as I am so fond of saying, we all have our different takes on things and you are perfectly entitled to try and change my view! Tell me what I should listen to that might possibly make me like Bon Jovi, and I promise I will do it. At the moment Sambora, to me, is just yet another proponent of the bland "rawk" sound and has been since the 1980's. How can that possibly compare to the innovative and emotive quality of Edge's work?? Less is definitely more in this case.

(Sorry if I'm being really offensive but I do feel quite strongly on this matter!)

Originally posted by roon og:
If you listen to Sambora in songs such as Dead or Alive, Always or even the new Its my life, you will here the guitar being played at its technical best, and you will here Sambora and Jon Bon playing as one in total harmony.

Haha, thanks I needed a good laugh
biggrin.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

put it this way - a great guitarist shouldn't be defined by how fast he can play or how long his hair is.

does bb king play fast? no is he great? yes
hell, clapton is called slowhand!

the edge is great because he is innovative, melodic, has a signature sound, has great command of technology, constantly breaks new ground, and when he plays, it sounds gooooooooooooooooooood!

------------------
"I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Sambora, Sambora, Sambora = GENIUS\
EDGE, EDGE, EDGE=Average

Dont get me started on the attributes of Jon Bon Jovi versus Bono, sure Edge and Bono hardly even have a hair on their collective heads!!!!

I would hardly call Edge average -- Edge is a huge element to the force "U2". Edge is progressive, innovative, hard-working, and very very talented.. not only in his guitar work but also in other areas as well. Edge is so full of ideas.. it would make Sambora cry.

------------------

"we're going to finish a record in a few months, and I dare anyone to make a better rock record this year"
- Bono on the new album

Hey roon og say whatever you wanna say musically but I dunno why you've so much problem with U2's hairline,thats what I said first and you took it so otherwise and I'm saying that again I don't like your tone.Obviously you're a musical genius but a very shallow person indeed.I don't know what you will achieve making such irrelevant comments about the physical appearance of two bands,i don't wanna end up in such a petty topic with you.
As for Edge and Sambora, I said that Sambora may have great technique,but The Edge is a better guitarist.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, I was reading these posts and I just can't help but Laugh. Yes, Laugh with a capital "L". How the heck can we even argue this topic? OMG, Bon Jovi vs. U2.
This is hilarious. Roon Og, how can you say this stuff with a strait face??!?!??!
And I quote: "If you listen to Sambora in songs such as Dead or Alive, Always or even the new Its my life, you will here the guitar being played at its technical best, and you will here Sambora and Jon Bon playing as one in total harmony."
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!
Hey, man, have you heard of this band called "Winger?" When this band comes together as one, it's just unbelievable. I mean this is great hair band music at its very best...LOL.

I think everyone is forgetting the point here. Whoever this Roon Og guy is he is dominating the topic. This is about the guitar skills of the edge not about the controversial statements of Roon Og. Maybe we should change the topic to Roon Og versus everyone else?

ps Bon Jovi suck ass! Edge rules!

I'm sorry I guess I'm the guilty party here
redface.gif
,I know I shouldn't have paid much attention but y'know I just can't tolerate rubbish

No problem Ishkash - I think Roon Og is Chiefly to blame. He has very bad musical taste and should stop trying to cause fights. By the way what do people think of Napster being shut down?

------------------
I will be with you again...

Would everyone agree that ishkash should leave this site permanently and leave it to real guitar lovers- HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY THE MOST SACRED OF INSTRUMENTS- so how can he possilbly comment on the attributes of other guitar players?
Ps I dont like your attitude Loafer.

I'm very upset about Napster!! That was a great source that I used often for things I can't find anywhere else. I don't really think it rips off bands as much as they make it seem -- I think there are probably many out there who use Napster as a sampler of music, and then eventually become huge fans and buy all the albums of a band!

and no we will not agree on this roon og.. He is entitled to comment on other guitarists even though he doesn't play himself; infact isn't a guitarists goal to appeal to the listener? The listener's enjoyment is definately something a guitarist is aiming for -- and ishkash is welcome to evaluate this, as is everyone.
PS: please stop trying to pick fights and let's not forget what this forum is about

------------------

"we're going to finish a record in a few months, and I dare anyone to make a better rock record this year"
- Bono on the new album

I agree with loafer ... this topic is very funny

I dont even know how Edge can be compaired to Ritchie "look at me i play guitar !!! yeah man yeah, watch as i hold my guitar in the air, ohhh my fingers are just a blur to you poor guitarists" Sambora.

Roon Og will you please stop talking about Sambora .....thankyou

NAPSTER LIVES !!!!!

sambora is an excellent guitarist in his own rite, and he is a great musician with a soulful singing voice.

the shame of it is that he is pigeonholed into the hair band genre because of pretty-boy jon bon jovi.

sambora is a real rock-n-roll guy, and his solo albums serve as an outlet to his true creative style because they aren't produced to feed the masses of screaming teenagers the Bon Jovi machine was built for. however, being a member of the machine is a gig anyone would kill for as it is secure, successful, and wildly accepted worldwide.

that being said, YOU CANNOT EVER COMPARE THE EDGE WITH RICHIE SAMBORA.

the beauty of music and art is that people use their own voices and styles to express themselves. just because The Edge doesn't play fast doesn't make him any less important than Richie Sambora or anyone else.

The Edge is all about tone. he creates sonic landscapes with his music and playing style. To me, he is as important as Eddie Van Halen. The Edge just goes about things differently, but in my opinion he is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

------------------

Don't you just wish he would let rip with a killer guitar solo. If he doesn't I think it has more to do with his dislike of self indulgent guitar solo's rather than any lack of technical ability.

Cheers Van Edge, its great to see that somebody else can appreciate the musical genius of sambora as well as edge. However there is one area that Edge cannot compete with Sambora, HE IS SHAGGING HEATHER LOCKLEAR!!!!!!!,

i just like to keep an open mind.
i learned that from U2!

------------------

Back
Top Bottom