is anyone here good with guitar wiring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
my guitars been a bit funny for a while so i opened it up and noticed the red wire had come off the jack thingy. now this wouldnt be a problem, as i can solder it back on, but theres another wire. :| on my other guitars theres only 2, a white and red, but this one has a white red and...well one with no cover. where the bloody hell does it go to!?

the whites come off too but i know where that goes, but which goes on the other side of the jack thingy? the red or the non covered one? im guessing the one without a covers an earth, so it should probably be soldered somewhere too...?

as you can tell, electronics is my downfall. :wink:

Id put money on the bare wire being an earth.

I would solder the red one back to the jack.

The earth - see if there is a contact point somewhere on the body or the outer casing (most likely on a metallic surface)

Which guitar is it?

Im not sure what current / voltage is used by a guitar? Probably not enough to hurt you. Treating the pickups as a sensor (which they essentially are) then I would say 12v would be about right.

My best guess is that you would get interference / noise from the pickups.

Have you consulted a guitar store? or searched the internet for a tech diagram for your guitar?

ive looked on the internet with no luck. and i REFUSE to take it to the music shop cos theyre total arseholes. :madspit:

there is this electronics shop that sells some guitar stuff tho, they might be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom