Intro Organ Chords for Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have it basically figured out, but I don't know how to explain it, I don't really play keyboard. The basic sequence is D,G,D,G,Bm,A, etc but it's not just the straight chords. I guess you just have to listen to it closely.

rk08642 said:
I have it basically figured out, but I don't know how to explain it, I don't really play keyboard. The basic sequence is D,G,D,G,Bm,A, etc but it's not just the straight chords. I guess you just have to listen to it closely.

Yea, while I don;t know how to play the song, it sounds like inversions of chords (a typical chord would go, from left to right, 1-3-5 i.e. G-B-D for G Major - inversions switch the notes around but still retain the chord value). Using inversions can be handy for voice leading, which the Edge is certainly doing during the intro.

It'd be cool if he still played the intro live a la rattle and hum.

well I had a midi of Streets which I plugged into an old, very old program I have that can read the assigned notes, and the actual midi sounds very much like the album, so I figured I would transcribe the notes, and it's hard to do.

First off, it sounds like two keyboards/organs at once, both playing progessions of 2 notes (chords?), high and low, unless the person who made the midi was just going by ear (highly likely)

for instance, there is a D-A chord (like D major minus the F#)
and then it progresses into C#-A down into G-B (like G major minus the D)

and accompanying that is the lower half/lower octaves, which also change and are variants of the actual chords (guitar)

Dealing with D's and G's and then toss a B down into A in there and you probably just have to wing it and listen by ear.

It seems you can get a good sound, not identical, playing straight up chords, but those variants are beautiful, just hard for my amateur guitar/piano ass to figure out.

I'm going to record my first version of Streets (makign a whole tape of U2 songs) and I'll let you know how crappy it sounds. :)

Here´s the sequence: ( You´ll need to use both hands, don´t forget left one do the low notes - NO CHORDS - and the right one do the chords using generally 4 fingers. If you´re learing to play keyboards probably you´ll use only 3 fingers ) ;).

This is the original Joshua Tree version key, live version is half step down ( C# - F#, A#m, etc )

D- G - D- G- Bm- A - D- G- D( guitar riff starts )- G- Bm- A- D- D( Drum and Bass starts )- G- D- G- Bm- A- C- D- D ( I want to run... I want to hide... ), etc

Peace :wave:

This is the guitar pro version.
These are the chords played, but you have to find out the order yourself.

Code:
U2 Where the streets have no name                          
Organ

e||--10------------|----------9-----|----------9----|----------7----|
B||--10------------|----------10----|----------8----|----------8----|
G||--7-------------|----------7-----|----------7----|----------7----|
D||--7-------------|----------7-----|----------9----|----------9----|
A||--7-------------|----------7-----|----------0----|----------0----|
E||----------------|----------------|---------------|---------------|

e||----------7----|
B||----------7----|
G||----------7----|