Intricate Study of the Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The internet is a great source of information, but not always the most trustworthy source of information. Anyone can post anything with little 3rd party scrutinizing going on. That being said the guy's definitely a good source to use. But not to base everything on. Use your own ears always as the supreme arbiter. If it doesn't sound right, it isn't right.

Maybe we should have a sticky about this site so everybody who thinks they stumbled unto a new gem and wants to tell us knows it has been posted here before. A lot!

I think the nicest thing that can be said about that site is, "It's not all wrong."

But most of it is.

Then again, I've yet to find anybody to give a detailed account as to what actually is wrong. I'll accept that there are errors but name them. Give us a list and then sticky this thread so nobody ever comes back here saying they've discovered this 'amazing site'.

I think it is great that someone would try to sort out all of the things that The Edge does. But the fact is, much of the information on the site is inaccurate.

Those that are "Edges" in tribute bands have probably heard of the site in question. And those "Edge's" can probably affirm that while the guy that made the site means well... he missed the mark.

If you go to U2 Recording yahoo group, you will see that the inaccuracies of the Amnesta Edge site have been discussed a few times with laudry lists of the inaccuracies.

But those yahoo groups aren't exactly the most browser friendly places to look through.

Personally I think his greatest failing is his refusal to see Edge's sound as an organic whole, and only concentrates on delay. Using an acoustic! You can never recreate a song like Bad or Streets using just a delay. It really is the sum of all the separate things that makes Edge's sound so big.

interesting....anyone know of an informative, extensive, detailed study on the Edge and his brilliant guitar work?

My friend asked me for one and I sent him that but apparently it isn't the greatest...anyone know of one?

U2 Recording Yahoo group has lots of experienced guitarists; many that play in U2 Tributes. So that might be a good place to strart.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/U2_recording/join

There you will find information on what The Edge has used over variour albums and tours but also alternate more price effective alternatives to some of the gear that The Edge uses - as a lot of what he uses is older and either goes for vintage rates or is no longer made.

Hi what i can tell you is that Edge uses alot of double delay times eg beautiful day is 437ms with 350ms!!

There is a lot more going on with the delays than we think!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom