In the market for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilstysabsinthe

Babyface
Hello everyone.

My name's Alex and my first memory of U2 was hearing the song With Or Without You when I was about ten. Ever since then I've been collecting albums and I went to the United Center for a show during the Vertigo Tour.

But I'm here because of The Edge. After seeing the video of him playing Sunday Bloody Sunday at Red Rocks I knew I had to own a guitar. I had to learn to play. And so I got one. But since I was only about 14 or 15 I didn't have much money. I bought a Squier Stratocaster pack. The first song I learned was, you guessed right, Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Unfortunately the quality of the guitar and amp isn't very very good.

Shortly after that I got into more metal and bought an Ibanez RG 7321 along with this really crappy Behringer GMX 212 amp. Yes. I make bad choices. The guitar is great but the amp sucks.

Now that I'm a bit wiser and a little more knowledgeable of guitars I would like to know what you think of this setup.

I'm looking to buy a Vox AC-30, yes 'cuz of Edge, a 70's series Fender Strat, once again because of Edge, and a couple of pedals.

If anyone knows anything about the Vox AC-30 or actually owns one I would love to know how you guys go about creating the tone you hear on Sunday Bloody Sunday.

If you could please send your responses to my e-mail that would be great.

wilstysabsinthe@yahoo.com

Oh, and if possible, could any of you make a video demo of some type and post it on YouTube. That's where I watch a lot of U2 videos and all the stuff with Edge and Dallas. I've watched the AC-30 demo on Vox's main site but the guy doesn't even show the tone of U2, who he actually mentions.

I dont own the ac-30 but I have played it before,it is an amazing amp, another song (i heard from someone) that for the song Ultra Violet is only the Explorer and the AC-30, I dont know about the settings about the amp though...

What pedals are you thinking of getting?

I like the Memory Man Delay pedal. And I might take a look at some of the Vox Wah's.

*laughs* If I get this stuff and it all works great it'll be the first time I've heard great tone out of a guitar.

the Memory Man Delay is a great pedal! Someone correct me if i'm wrong but...I think SBS also has some compression pedal in it..I think he uses the Boss compression...For wahs, you do know the edge only uses the dulop wahs right? Which U2 UC concert did you see? I was at 9-20(or 9-21:wink:) What ever concert that Bono messed up the words to Walk On :wink:

I am pretty sure SBS was with a pedal, to get a vox to sound like that you really need to crank it and that gets very loud really quickly => Try an boss SD-1 maybe?

+1 on the Memory man, its my favorite out there. Get one now before the cost goes up, due to chip prices going up.

For about double the price there is the Memory Lane from Diamond Pedals. it is an all analog DMM clone, but with all the upgrades you could want, lower noise issue, higher headroom, a tone control for the delays, and of course Tap tempo.

The AC 30 is unreal. When I first started trying to recreate the Edge's sound, I had a vintage 66 Fender Super. Great sounding amp. I thought I was really on the right track for tones. UNTIL I bought the AC30 TBX, with blues. THEN, and ONLY THEN, did I realize what a difference an amp makes! Get one!

If you dont want to go the AC-30 route you can always check outhe DR Z stuff, of the Valvetech Hayseed which is basically a 64 AC-30, and costs about as much as the new production ones.

Back
Top Bottom