I'm Not Allowed To Ask This Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark Freedman said:
And I'm really serious here -- arent most of our avatars off-limits?

Technically... probably.. who knows.. however they arent high quality, and they arent compositions (which is what Uni Publishing administrates).

Mark Freedman said:
What's wrong with having a discussion with someone about the chords of a song:

"It sounds to be like a D into a B#minor."

"I think I hear more of a Dsus7 into the B#minor."

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

How is this any different than the conversation that goes:

"It sounds to me like he's singing Are you daughters of Zion,
are your Abraham sons."

"Nah, it's definitely All your daughters of Zion, all your Abraham sons."

Do we stop talking about what we think the lyrics may be???

Makes ZERO sense to me. ZERO.

Discussion of it is perfectly fine, and legal. So is editorial comment about it.

beli said:
What I meant by that PLEBA remark is that theres photos taken from professional websites and then the watermarks removed and pasted here. Magazines are also scanned. TV shows are copied by frame. etc.

Is this legal too? Is it copyright material thats being copied? Cause PLEBA didnt get told off when the lyrics, tabs, and mp3 forums were censored.

We do have a policy of not removing watermarks. We can't possibly research each photo, it's source, etc. If you read the registration information and the FAQ you'll see our policy on all copyrighted material, but also how we can't possibly moderate it all.

GibsonExplorer said:

However, I still am fuming about the way the site had conducted itself during the album leak, while attempting to silence all talk of guitar tabs. It's the worst kind of hypocrisy.

Huge difference... before C&D, after C&D.

beli said:
What about on zootopia when that opens again. Can you talk about this stuff there?

Talking about it is fine.... posting the complete tabs or lyrics.. apparently is not, especially not a HUGE collection of them in full as we had.

As far as Zootopia goes, I'm sure as usual it will be under moderated and since it's the official thing, I'd think it's automatically licensed. When you think about that though... it's absurd. If you can find it on one site on the net, what does it matter if you find it on another.

Of course, this has to come right when I was working on a VERY complete tab of All Because Of You... Tough luck, everyone. :wink:

All kidding aside, I think this is absolutely absurd. It's sad that record companies have those carrots shoved so far up their rear ends that they're trying to rid fans' interpretations of how songs are supposed to go. I wonder if there might be ways to get around it, though... Since we can't post COMPLETE tabs, what if, say, we write half of the tab in one post and the other half in a completely different post? Technically, that's two incomplete tabs. :wink:

Elvis said:

As far as Zootopia goes, I'm sure as usual it will be under moderated and since it's the official thing, I'd think it's automatically licensed.

Thats what I meant. It should be legal on Zootopia.

PS I dont believe it was appropriate of you to make derogatory remarks regarding something thats yet to be seen.

beli said:

PS I dont believe it was appropriate of you to make derogatory remarks regarding something thats yet to be seen.

Why not? I'm entitled to my opinion. And from what we've seen since the creation of zootopia, when it comes to moderating, hasn't been impressive. I'm also not impressed with U2's artwork/design this time around compared to past efforts. Is that inappropriate too?

Elvis said:

Why not? I'm entitled to my opinion. And from what we've seen since the creation of zootopia, when it comes to moderating, hasn't been impressive. I'm also not impressed with U2's artwork/design this time around compared to past efforts. Is that inappropriate too?

Those comments, these new one comments, arent inappropriate, well I dont think they are anyway. But the term "as usual" is a put down.

No matter, maybe Im being sensitive about it. I moved over here when the zoo went wonky last year (?). Im hoping this third incarnation of the zoo will be a good one. And I will go back there. And Im sure everyone will be happy to see that happen. :wink:

I'll have to agree with the artwork/design problems. I caught the sneak peek at the new site and I am not impressed. I hope they fix their navigation links... they are awful and very immature.

And the scroll bars alone suck. You can only scroll using the arrows. I hate that big time.

I don't have high hopes for the updated U2.com site at all. The original one was one of the worst in creation, and they still appear to be more interested in being artsy than functional.

But most official music sites are bad. They need to take lessons from many of the fan-run sites.

Mwb2, you start and set up the server, and I will give you the tab archive up till feb of 2004.

Would the guitar archive be safe from the copyright laws if it were based in Canada? I mean, in canada we have different laws than the US for mp3 file sharing, making it legal as long as you don't sell it. So would this situation fall under the same catagory?

Lemonator said:
Would the guitar archive be safe from the copyright laws if it were based in Canada? I mean, in canada we have different laws than the US for mp3 file sharing, making it legal as long as you don't sell it. So would this situation fall under the same catagory?

I'm pretty sure it would also be a target on a canadian server.

I'm sure it would be a target, but it probably whoever set it up would be safe from getting sued. 6 months to a year ago, when people in the US were getting sued for using Kazaa and all, we had a news release in Canada saying the constitution allows us the right to download and store mp3's on our computers, only if it's for personal use. So I have a feeling that this situation would fall under the same part of the Canadian Constitution.

bananacologne said:
Well, if this is the case, then why not go the whole hog and remove any mention of tribute bands...hell, we could go even further than that now couldn't we? :eyebrow:

I think you're misunderstanding this. This is about Universal Publishing and their exclusive right to publish compositions by U2 (lyrics, music, songs). However, if say a photographer saw that someone was using their photograph as an avatar, that person does have the right to request that be removed. The likely hood of that happening is slim though.

The entire point of the cease and desist order is that company that owns the publishing rights to the music is trying to get anyone who wants the music tabbed, and can't figure it out for themselves to purchase the officially lisenced books. And as reprehensible as we all feel it is, this is perfectly within their rights, and is in the spirit of the contract that made with U2.

For the band's representative to not have been told that step one is removing all U2 tab sites is naive at best.

born2runDmd said:
For the band's representative to not have been told that step one is removing all U2 tab sites is naive at best.

And for the company that owns the publishing rights to think that they can close all the guitar tab sites on the Web that not only host U2 tabs, but also tabs for thousands of other artists is naive at best.

My original frustration was the feeling that I shouldn't even dare discuss chords of a U2 song here with other fans, because they may try to shut those conversations down. I have to "make sure" that my discussion is only about a part of a song, otherwise we may be giving away the chords for an entire song.

Stopping the sharing of the recorded music is one thing, shutting down discussion of chord arrangements is a violation of freedom of speech, in my opinion.

Last edited:
the chords for the chorus of "yahweh" are:

C
G/B
Amin
F
C
G/B
Amin

the verse is:

C
Gsus
C/E
F
C
Gsus
F/A

:wave:

the publishers can kiss my ass; I was playing those chords in the 9th grade.

Back
Top Bottom