I want an Edge signature gutiar - where is it!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adriansr_martin

The Fly
Even The Cure's robert smith has one (robert smith custom guitar) . Why havent we seen one for the Edge? fender have signed just about everyone from Clapton to Malmsteen, Gibson have released ones for Pete Townshend, Page and even Slash:rockon: (for hecks sake - Bono even has one with Gretsch!!!)

All I want is my Custom Gibson Explorer...or do I want the signature black strat from UF era - bugger perhaps I want the Vertigo variax acoustic damn...too many to choose from - nah decided - it's got to be the Explorer - hell someone at Gibson please take note - anyone else agree?

the explorer PLEASE!
well he had the music rising ones...not the same but....

I agree there while the music rising guitars are fab (and for a worthy cause too) they are NOT a signature guitar - its definately got to be the explorer hasnt it

It's got to be both the Gibson Explorer and/or the black Fender Strat with black pickguard and maple neck (preferably 22 frets) and large headstock. :drool: I couldn't care less about the Music Rising LP.

Hell, the sale to U2 tribute bands alone would make it profitable.

Edge wouldnt have a sig guitar for the reason that he uses more then 10 guitars a concert, which makes marketing worthless because the people that have signature guitars only use the type of guitar they are releasing as a sig guitar.

It doesn't matter if Edge uses 10 or 17 different guitars live, since almost everybody here immediately identifies the Explorer as his guitar.

Besides, signature guitars are expensive anyway. So the average Edge wannabe couldn't afford them anyway. But the tribute players, people like Eventide who spend 30.000 pounds on re-creating his rig, they would get them. And there are plenty of them.

I'm curious to find out about the picks Edge uses..... Would the majority of people buying Herdims be U2 fans or not?

Muad'zin said:
It doesn't matter if Edge uses 10 or 17 different guitars live, since almost everybody here immediately identifies the Explorer as his guitar.

Besides, signature guitars are expensive anyway. So the average Edge wannabe couldn't afford them anyway. But the tribute players, people like Eventide who spend 30.000 pounds on re-creating his rig, they would get them. And there are plenty of them.

Actually you'd be surprised that I never really thought in the sense it was his guitar until I became a U2 fan...

If you look every musician that has a sig only uses that style of guitar.

hmmm maybe we could convince Gibson & Edge to release a limited number of Edge signature Explorers with profits going to music rising?

Presumably there's nothing special about the Explorer (ie. off the shelf no mods) suppose the neck & pickups/electrics are still original? Anyone know if it's got anything special?

I see that Epiphone have released a Slash LP at a fraction ofthe cost of the Gibson version maybee once we've convinced Gibson we can then concentrate on Epiphone for the ahem....more cash strapped amoung us?

tpsreports2424 said:

If you look every musician that has a sig only uses that style of guitar.

Fender is making a David Gilmour signature Strat, and he's used many different guitars over the years, so this isn't entirely true. Andy Summers just got his own signature Telecaster, and that's certainly not the only type of guitar he uses, but it is what most people associate him with.

If you just wanted an Edge approved Explorer, the current reissues in natural finish would fit the bill quite nicely. The stock pickups would definitely need to be replaced with something closer to Edge's vintage T-tops, but after that the only missing would be Edge's signature on the headstock...

yeah, unless his sounds different to the ones on the market, seems a bit awkward getting a signiture one. Id imagine as his is older it'd sound different, but Im not sure.

Id like one either way. :drool: They had explorer-esque copy guitars in a shop here for £170, Id have bought it, but I realised I should probably buy a GOOD guitar rather than cheap copies all the time.

Id tell you what guitar they COULD sig though, that Line-6 Variax accoustic, seeing as that was a custom finish. (it was right?)

adriansr_martin said:
hmmm maybe we could convince Gibson & Edge to release a limited number of Edge signature Explorers with profits going to music rising?

Presumably there's nothing special about the Explorer (ie. off the shelf no mods) suppose the neck & pickups/electrics are still original? Anyone know if it's got anything special?

I see that Epiphone have released a Slash LP at a fraction ofthe cost of the Gibson version maybee once we've convinced Gibson we can then concentrate on Epiphone for the ahem....more cash strapped amoung us?

I think that this would be a fantastic idea, especially for charity! Does anyone here have close ties with Music Rising who could send the message/idea through to the powers that be?

MooMoo! said:
Id like one either way. :drool: They had explorer-esque copy guitars in a shop here for £170, Id have bought it, but I realised I should probably buy a GOOD guitar rather than cheap copies all the time.
QUOTE]

I used to have an Epiphone Korina 1958 explorer this was FANTASTIC - not quite sure how close it was to Edges but it was really great paid around £200 quid second hand- had a real meaty tone and looked the business. I've heard that pickups can be a problem on Epi's (these were stock pickups) but I found them to be fine though these are easily swapped if you want - actually was one of my fav guitars I've ever owned and I've owned a few (have sold most as they were cluttering up the house and annoying the wife! grrrr).

There's quite a few guitar manufacturers out there making explorer shape guitars - dean for example - think they have quite a good rep. But if your looking for an explorer on a budget I'd definately consider the Korina.

Theres a question in Guitar Player mag. 05 issue that asks Edge about getting his own signature guitar and he says hes been talking to some companies but its not for him. idk what the exact quote is b/c i dont have it in front of me..but yeah

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
Theres a question in Guitar Player mag. 05 issue that asks Edge about getting his own signature guitar and he says hes been talking to some companies but its not for him.
Who cares if its not for him, it IS for us. :shifty:

Stupid edge. To hell with it, Ill just steal his. *leaves with rope and mask*

I made a topic about this some time ago, I even emailed gibson custom shop about it, they said something about thanking me for my input and they'll think about it :giggle:

Muad'zin said:
Preferably a rackmount so it can have 100+ settings, instead of just 7. :wink:

With Edge 7 is just not enough.
We would need about 200 settings. That would make the basic package. Then you can buy an Live-box, with all the live settings. A couple of months later an "Alternate-recordings"-set will come etcetera.

Oh yes, and the live package would have to be updated after each tour. :tongue:

Barkeeper said:
We would need about 200 settings. That would make the basic package. Then you can buy an Live-box, with all the live settings. A couple of months later an "Alternate-recordings"-set will come etcetera.

Oh yes, and the live package would have to be updated after each tour. :tongue:

It all goes without saying. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom