I need some help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowflake

The Fly
Hello everyone. I started taking bass lessons, it’s been a few months now and I’m starting to think about buying my own. My teacher told me to do some research online, but I have no idea where to start. I don’t know much about this subject so I guess I could use some advice :) My parents told me I can spend about 500 dollars.

Thank you.

well...i got a cheap bass off ebay for £70. so try there. :wink:

are you wanting electric or accoustic?

if you want an electric a squire jazz or precision would be a good choice. failing that an encore, beringher or vintage. theyre the cheap and cheerful brands.

http://www.soundsmusical.com/list_b...=Bass Guitar&in=Guitar Family&curpage=1&ord=l
i know its not a USA site but these are some good examples.

you may be able to afford a cheap fender with $500 if you're lucky. :wink:

are you planning on buying an amp too? cos thats another kettle of fish...

Define what you want to accomplish. If you want to play in a band a good amp is an absolute necessity. If you only want to play at home a small practice amp will do. Find out what is available in your price class then try them out at music stores (without buying of course :wink:). Then, hit the pawnshops, 2nd hand stores and sites like E-bay to see if they have what you want at an affordable price. And never give in to what's available right now. Better to wait and see then settle for something which doesn't quit do as expected.

If it's just for twonking about at home then the suggestion above is a good one. However you might want to see if you can find something similar that features a Jazz bass copy rather than a Precision copy. The Jazz neck is slightly thinner at the nut and in my opinion is a little easier to play for those of us with normal sized hands. There is a slight difference in sound too; the P-bass is regarded as a bit thumpier whereas the Jazz seems to have a bit more mid range definition, though what you're playing it through will play its part of course. Personally I prefer the Jazz but it's just a personal preference so give 'em both a try and see what you think.

I forgot to say that with $500 you could probably pick up an Indonesian Squier or a mexi Fender or something half decent and still have enough left over for a small practice amp. I'd steer you away from the Affinity basses, every corner it is possible to cut is cut on those though they are good value for the modest outlay.

Back
Top Bottom