How to get the shimmer effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpsreports2424

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Does anyone know exactly how to get the shimmer effect?

I know you have to use a harmonizer and a volume pedal..is that it? what do you do to you use to get your shimmer effect?

Edge uses an Eventide harmonizer now for his shimmer. Prior to that, I believe he used an AMS delay/pitch shifter unit.

Although I don't think that the Digitech Whammy can handle the shimmer effect by itself, it can also be achieved using several Digitech products. The IPS33, IPS33b, and DHP55 (the one I have) all manage a good shimmer.

Unless you've just got lots of money to throw at a relatively specialized effect, the Digitech processors are a better bet than the AMS or Eventide, both of which are quite costly. Contrasted with the DHP55 (which I picked up used for $150), I think most Eventides go for around $900+, and the AMS was even more pricey, the last time I checked.

EDIT:
I just did a quick search on Ebay for various Digitech pitch shifter/harmonizers, and there are several on there, with the most expensive listed at $175. If you're after one, I'd definitely check over there.

Last edited:
tpsreports2424 said:
i thought you get your shimmer from a volume pedal, not the whammy:huh:

The shimmer resembles an orchestra behind the guitar part. The whammy can't, as far as I know, do a shimmer effect because it doesn't have delay as an option.

You have to have the delayed pitch shifting, because you need the shifted notes to trail out smoothly, like a string section (violins, etc.).

A volume pedal will do nothing for a shimmer effect.

well i think for Sometimes and Original (on guitar), Edge uses a whammy an octave or two up to add to the shimmer, and you could possibly get something close to shimmer with a whammy and some delay/reverb.

get a line6 Verbzilla cheap shimmer in a pedal
not as good as the mid priced Digitech units
IPS33b ect

but it does a very nice job! from what ive heard..
id stick a delay infront of it to smooth it even more;-)

good luck BB

On the verbzilla you need the octo setting, as the others are reverbs. Depending on how you run the verbzilla you either set the effect for a mix if you run it through the regular effects loop, or to full effect if you split it to a separate amp like I do.

tpsreports2424 said:
ok, if i got the digitech ips33b, what settings should I use and what else would I need?

same thing for the verbzilla...

Here's how I do it:

I have a Pod Pro, which has a Korg A3 and a Roland SDE1000 modulated delay unit in its effects loop. The Pod Pro has multiple "output" jacks (stereo left and right, as well as an "unprocessed guitar out" jack). This setup runs to one amplifier for the "main" sound.

I also have my Digitech DHP55, set to the patch called "string pad," hooked up to another amplifier.

I run my instrument cable into the Pod's front input jack. The signal goes into the effects loop and eventually out the main amplifier to produce the "main" sound. But, I also run a second cable from the "unprocessed" guitar output to the Digitech. By keeping the volume on the "shimmer" amp low, I can have a constant background harmony running in key with whatever I'm playing for my main sound.

You can achieve the same splitting effect by using both outputs of a stereo processor, as well.

This gives you a pretty good "shimmer". If you have a volume pedal, you can use it to increase or decrease the level of the shimmer in your total sound. That way, you don't have to bend down to adjust the amp's volume while you're trying to play.

Its defintaley the vintage AMS 15-80 Delay.Delay set to 350ms 1 oct high on the harm chan and delay B is set to 120ms and 2 oct on the harm chan it is then mixed with a stereo reverb like yamaha spx1000 and lexicon pcm 91 through a CAE AMS interface mixer volume on stage is controlled via a rocktron DVC

eventide said:
Its defintaley the vintage AMS 15-80 Delay.Delay set to 350ms 1 oct high on the harm chan and delay B is set to 120ms and 2 oct on the harm chan it is then mixed with a stereo reverb like yamaha spx1000 and lexicon pcm 91 through a CAE AMS interface mixer volume on stage is controlled via a rocktron DVC

He uses the Eventide these days. The AMS was used for a long time, but I believed he switched to the Eventide for either the Elevation tour, or possibly during the Popmart tour.

If you look at pictures of his rig from Vertigo and Elevation, the AMS is not there.

TheEdge U2JT said:
The AMS is still in the rig and has been for both tours. It is still the primary shimmer.

Sorry, you're right. I just found some recent shots of his rig, and some from Elevation, and the AMS is in there clear as day.

I'm just plain wrong.

Nice to see he's still using it, though. Wonder if he alternates between the Eventide and the AMS. Since you can see him clicking off the Eventide option on his floorboard at the beginning of COBL on the Chicago DVD, he must use it sometimes. Of course, that's not exactly "shimmer" is it, so who knows?

He uses both shimmer and h3000 crystal echoes 2 patch for the orchestra sound at the start of cobl h3000 is used for still havnt found and also the middle 8 on love and peace.

Real shimmer using the AMS is a beautiful sound i believe it was Brian Eno that made this sound in the first place as far back as unforgettable fire!

I already have a Shimmer. But is it possible to get that effect any other way? Maybe with two different reverbs?

Shimmer is pitch shift and reverb, essentially. Two different reverbs alone probably won't get you there, unless one or both have a octave or pitch shift element to them.

There are the rack units Edge uses. There are rack units like the Digitech IPS33b. There are the pedals like the Verbzilla, M13 that can do it.

There are options.

Shimmer is pitch shift and reverb, essentially. Two different reverbs alone probably won't get you there, unless one or both have a octave or pitch shift element to them.

There are the rack units Edge uses. There are rack units like the Digitech IPS33b. There are the pedals like the Verbzilla, M13 that can do it.

There are options.

I have one, the m13 has one?

Line 6 Verbzilla is good but the Strymon Blue Sky is ridiculously better. And then there is the Strymon Timeline, which has a feature called Ice which does the shimmer but also lets you choose a harmonizing note.

Back
Top Bottom