How to get edge's sound with my equipment (i know this has been discussed already)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louriec

Babyface
Hey all, so I know that this subject comes up a million times in the forum. I've been playing guitar for a year or so, and actually just got my first amp and delay pedal. I got a standard 15'' Fender 25R amp and the Boss DD-3 delay pedal. These are being accompanied with an old Epiphone guitar. So i'm hoping one of you is a guru and can either teach me about delay and amp settings, etc. or kind of guide me towards what kind of settings I should be gearing my stuff towards to get that icy sound Edge gets on his guitar. I've read so many different things, some saying it's how you set up your equipment which gets it, the pick you use is what gets it, and the guitar. Anyone have any specific details because I'm tired of being jealous of people on YouTube getting Edge's sound and then not explaining how they get it! Thanks from an eager new Edge devotee!

Oh also, does anyone know if I can buy/download songs that don't have the guitar parts playing, just the others?

I am not sure about the settings. I was n a tribute band for a while, put myself through Law School, so I will ask my old guitarist for more info on settings. I DO know that what you have is not enough for many songs. You are gonna need a Wah... and others.

As for backing tracks... try this website.

www.edgewannabe.net

Cheers!

Thanks a ton! I'll check out the website and appreciate and help you all can give me! I see so many awesome guitar players on YouTube and like you all I'd like to come as close to their sound as I can

The key to nailing Edge's sound is not one thing (if only), its the total package.

It's the Vox amps pushing the high end of the spectrum. He's not into boosting the lows and mids, he goes for the highs.

It's his collection of vintage and high end stomp boxes. Overall Edge doesn't seem to be using amp distortion much, using pedals mostly instead. Although using some pedals to push the amps to distort is highly possible. Pedals Edge prefers to use are overdrives and fuzz. Ibanez TS-9, Boss OD-2, Electro Harmonix Big Muff New York version and then a slew of very obscure vintage pedals. And in case your wondering, the wah you hear over mysterious ways is a reverse wah. The sweep of a normal wah goes from down to up, that one goes up to down, creating that sticky sound.

Delays are all rackmounted units you can no longer get except on EvilBay. Overall Edge uses delay that is in sync with the beats per minutes of U2 songs, creating a cascade of reinforcing notes.
This site can tell you more about it, but use it as a guide, not gospel:

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

Delay pedals that come with tap tempo can approximate this, although there is no beating the rackmounted units. Edge prefers to use modulation delay. This means a delay where some amount of chorus or flange is added to the repeats only.

And there is the elusive shimmer. That gorgeous keyboard like sound that accompanies his guitar playing in so many songs. For which you need to split your guitar signal in the beginning, one end goes to your regular guitar chain, the other to a separate effects chain and amp dedicated to producing that shimmer sound.

You sure you still want to do this? It takes a lot of effort and money nailing Edge's sound. All the good U2 tribute bands have guitarists who use shitloads of gear to emulate his sound. You might just be better off getting a Pod XT or X3 for the odd U2 song and focus on creating your own sound instead.

Or.... don't try to emulate his sound, but if you're gonna do a U2 cover, give it the extreme make over and do something different with it instead? I once saw a youtube video of a guy who played With or Without you all by himself using a sampler/loop station and I think it was more awesome then most bedroom musicians uploading their perfect covers.

Thanks for the lengthy reply that was quite a lesson. I think at this point I'm not ready to go the next step and purchase more equipment before I learn more about the various types and more of the ins and outs of why Edge would use certain pieces of musical equipment, etc. Actually one of the hardest things right now is learning the techniques Edge uses as well as finding good accurate tabs to learn from. For example, I've had a bitch of a time just finding how to learn the simple ice sounding plucks Edge does before the main riff begins in WTSHNN...frustrating even though not difficult!!! Thanks all for the info keep it coming this could turn into a good thread for those newcomers who are afraid to ask you Edge gurus!

I agree Muad'zin. My guitarist spent a FORTUNE on equipment. Not only was he using pedals, but racks with midi synths connected. It was all terribly complicated. I was always afraid to walk to his mic for fear of tripping on his "hazards". It took a long time to come up with the right settings. Steve spent hours doing it to get it just right. Than a new tour would start up and he'd have to do it all over again.

As for rhythm guitar, I just used the Nova delay, an echo chamber, a phase and distortion. That's all I really need.

But for the edge... you will need something more in the lines of.... a trust fund. But try other things out. Usethe Nova and other effects to get a very "similar" sound. That should be enough. Play around with it.

Anyone have any good leads to some good music sheets/tabs that go in much detail, for example like my problem not knowing how to get the icey plucking in WTSHNN?

louriec said:
Thanks for the lengthy reply that was quite a lesson. I think at this point I'm not ready to go the next step and purchase more equipment before I learn more about the various types and more of the ins and outs of why Edge would use certain pieces of musical equipment, etc. Actually one of the hardest things right now is learning the techniques Edge uses as well as finding good accurate tabs to learn from. For example, I've had a bitch of a time just finding how to learn the simple ice sounding plucks Edge does before the main riff begins in WTSHNN...frustrating even though not difficult!!! Thanks all for the info keep it coming this could turn into a good thread for those newcomers who are afraid to ask you Edge gurus!

Of course, one of the main reasons the WTSHNN intro is so hard to pull of is because you need to run a delay in synch with the beat, the dotted eight tempo, somewhere around 350 and 360 ms. This makes it sound like Edge plays more notes then he actually does. The actual riff itself is dead easy but it just won't sound right when played clean.

Back
Top Bottom