how to get a warmer sound out of an acoustic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I just got my strings replaced yesterday...now my acoustic has a twangy metallic fuzzy sound i don't like....how do I get that sound out?

also on the subject...are Elixir strings worth the money? I heard they break easily

Were the strings replaced by someone at a guitar shop? Is it all of the strings that buzz or just the thicker ones? If so you might want to try a thinner set but it may be a problem with your guitar.

The best acoustic strings I've used are Earthwood but i can't seem to get them any more at the local guitar shops. Martin strings are good to but it's all in the ear of the beholder. If you're after a warmer sound you could try playing away from the bridge as it can get a bit "tinny" up there. You might want to use a softer plectrum, that will help you get a warmer acoustic feel to the sound.

Strings sound brighter when they are new. This is normal. They will lose their new sound once they have been played in a bit.

I think the Elixers are worth the $. I have them on my Larivee and Variax 700 and think they are great. Depending on which ones you get, they reduce the scraping sound you get changing hand positions with an acoustic. They last longer and sound warmer. It would be worth spending a few extra buck to try them out.

The Elixers for electric, however, are a waste of money in my opinion.

thanks alot! after a few days my guitar already sounds like its old self again...and thanks for the string ideas (btw yeah the guy at guitar center strung it)

Back
Top Bottom