How many guitars do Adam and Edge have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could the FLY/LAPOE guitars be interchangable as alternatives?(ie: they have the same tuning?)

I think I've seen Edge use different guitars on the same song during a tour. I've also closely watched Dallas during an Elevation final check-up. He had the IWF Tomahawk and going over the setlist and briefly checking each sound effect. Distortion for chords on BD, the chimy part on BD, one strum of the UTEOTW intro, the fuzz sound on Elevation etc..... All on the same guitar.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Could the FLY/LAPOE guitars be interchangable as alternatives?(ie: they have the same tuning?)

Nope, The Fly is in Eb, and LAPOE is in open D. So trying to play the wrong song on those guitars would be somewhat disasterous.

And while the only thing stopping Edge from using the same guitar for the whole show is tuning, he evidently prefers not to do it that way.

during the 2nd mexico city show, which i attended, edge had problems with his custom variax, so dallas gave him the glittery one, and he played it, i got the DVD from that show, and it only took around a minute to switch the guitar, theyve got to be tuned the same, 'cos then adam should change his bass as well

rudybay said:
during the 2nd mexico city show, which i attended, edge had problems with his custom variax, so dallas gave him the glittery one, and he played it, i got the DVD from that show, and it only took around a minute to switch the guitar, theyve got to be tuned the same, 'cos then adam should change his bass as well

Actually, the variax has 2 modes for each modlel. One is standard tuning, the second is an alt tuning of your chioce. You can go open tunings, capo tunings or you own tuning set up. The guitar itslef is ALWAYS tuned standard, but what comes out of it is the different tuning.

I would assume that Edge uses different guitar models for Fly and LAPOE set up for each on both guitars that way they could use either guitar. The key would be having the right model and mode selected for the given song.

Either way, Edge is playing with the right tuning for the song on either guitar and playing along with Adams tuning.

Alot of the songs on this tour have been in different keys, I think I read something about dallas having to change the tuning to match .

joe8pizza said:
Alot of the songs on this tour have been in different keys, I think I read something about dallas having to change the tuning to match .

I don't think this was an issue once the tour started, there was just a comment made in rehersal that Bono wasn't sure what key he wanted to sing in... and a couple of changes were indeed made from the Elevation setup that I assume they started with (Streets in D, SBS in C, and in rehersals in Vancouver I believe SBS was attempted in D! a first?).

Adam probably has around 20-25 different basses, assuming he hasn't sold any. This comes from an Adam fanatic who analyzes every taped+officially released live performance, every album booklet picture, countless tour and studio photos, you name it. (What can I say? The guy is my hero.) He has alot that he doesn't use on the road but uses once and a while in the studio, his Les Paul or Musicman Stingray being fine examples.

Im gonna go out a limb here and say that edge probably dosent buy guitars, they get given to him, its great publicity and also he needs tons beacuse every song needs different settings and a concert would be kind dodgy if he stopped to tune his guitar all the time!

I'm at five right now, and saving up for more! Edge is using a whole bunch for this tour, i've heard upwards of 45.

drumu2 said:
I'm at five right now, and saving up for more! Edge is using a whole bunch for this tour, i've heard upwards of 45.

17 to 19 per guitars per show are used, and 45 total. Plus or minus a couple.

tommycharles said:

I don't think Edge has "duplicate" guitars, so to speak, but I'm sure he has alternates should something go wrong. The exceptions, I would imagine, are the two Variax (did I get the name right? The Love and Peace/The Fly guitars) acoustics, and the cream Les Paul. I'm almost positive I've heard of him breaking a string on the LP and Dallas having to give him the gold-top as a replacement.

Yes Edge does have a spare he has, a blue gibson sg that is backup for the red sg for the song Elevation..
Here's a great site to see about his guitars...

http://edge-equipment.tripod.com/id9.html

It's really cool...:drool: and it shows a pic of the Blue SG

-Zach:wink:

The person directed the site I guess took off the pic of the Blue SG..Well if anyone could find that pic it would be great! It's with Dallas playing it at the outdoor vertigo shows and he's wearing a yellow jacket...

Someone's got to get a Maton acoustic over to Edge.

Every guitarist deserves to play a Maton. So much better than any Crapotakamine out there.

Back
Top Bottom