How is Edge playing Chorus of WTSHNN on youtube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glennc100

Babyface
There a great video out showing How The Edge uses delay with streets. It's part of a new BBC documentary about the guitar.

YouTube - The Edge and echo from 'The Story of Guitar' part 3 by U2place.com

Can someone please tab or explain what he's doing on the chorus of "Streets" starting at 1:38. I want to play it like him verbatim and the cameraman is justing teasing me with the close ups. I can't tell when or where he's muting strings. I know the chord progression, but it looks like he goes up to the fifth fret on the 4th or 5th string, unlike I've played it ever before

Any input is appreciated.

-glenn

ain't that just this one?

e----------
B------3---
G------0---
D------4---
A----------
E----------

Afterwards he seems to be playin a bit wxith that D-chord (and the G)
If not I want to know too 'cause it sound sso right how he plays it here

It looks something like this:

e----5----3----2---2----2x----5---3---2---3----2--3--2--3--2---2x-----------
B----3----3----3---3----------3---3---3---3----3--3--3--3--3----------------
G----0----0----0---0----------0---0---0---0----0--0--0--0--0----------------
D----0----0----0---0----------0---0---0---0----0--0--0--0--0----------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e----5----3----2---2-----5---3---2---0-----
B----3----3----3---3-----3---3---3---3-----
G----0----0----0---0-----0---0---0---0-----
D----0----0----0---0-----0---0---0---0-----
A-------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------

Very close but the G string should be fretted at the 2nd fret. Put your fingers like you're playing a D chord but bar the 2nd fret instead of using your ring finger, and instead use your ring finger to play the note on the 3rd fret of the e string. Use your pinkie to play the 5th fret note.

Your notation is good except the dropped A on the G string throws the chord into a weird add3 or something.

Very close but the G string should be fretted at the 2nd fret. Put your fingers like you're playing a D chord but bar the 2nd fret instead of using your ring finger, and instead use your ring finger to play the note on the 3rd fret of the e string. Use your pinkie to play the 5th fret note.

Your notation is good except the dropped A on the G string throws the chord into a weird add3 or something.

I think you might be right, because it sounds better that way. But when i look at the youtube video I don't see Edge fretting the G-string at the 2nd fret. That puzzles me...:hmm:

e----5----3----2---2----2x----5---3---2---3----2--3--2--3--2---2x-----------
B----3----3----3---3----------3---3---3---3----3--3--3--3--3----------------
G----0----0----0---0----------0---0---0---0----0--0--0--0--0----------------
D----0----0----0---0----------0---0---0---0----0--0--0--0--0----------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e----5----3----2---2-----5---3---2---0-----
B----3----3----3---3-----3---3---3---3-----
G----0----0----0---0-----0---0---0---0-----
D----0----0----0---0-----0---0---0---0-----
A-------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------

As DaveC said, adding the 2 on the G makes it sound better, but you dont see him playing that :hmm: after messing around for a minute I did find that it sounds good if you play

e----5----3----2---2---
B----3----3----3---3---
G----0----0----0---0---
D----0----0----0---4--- <--adding the 4, thats all I got though :hmm:
A-----------------------
E-----------------------

This is a really easy song to play on the guitar if you have the right pedals but it just never seem to sound as good as when Edge is playing it. By the way: what kind of guitars do you guys have. I have a Fender Strat Sunburst american 60th years edition. Looks pretty hot.

I have a chrome red mexican strat. The pickups are kinda crappy, but I also have a VoxAD100, and I get a pretty good sound. ;)

It would be cool if forummembers would post a picture from their guitar(s) on the forum. My guitar is the first thing I show people when they come over to my house. I have no idea how to post a picture but I am sure someone can tell me how.

It would be cool if forummembers would post a picture from their guitar(s) on the forum. My guitar is the first thing I show people when they come over to my house. I have no idea how to post a picture but I am sure someone can tell me how.

I have a Fender mex sunburst and a blue squier p-bass.. my profile pic shows them with my vox.

if you want to post a pic, upload it at ImageShack® - Image Hosting , then when it's uploaded, on the bottom it says do not use this link, click that. and DO use it! post it inbetween
tags and you're all set.

Here's a few of my guitars:

4guitars.jpg

2002 Taylor "Big Baby" (signed by Daniel Lanois), 2004 Gibson J-180 12-string, 1998 Fender "Eric Clapton" Stratocaster, 1976 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Explorer (pic above)

I have 11 guitars. (too much is not enough!) I need to get a digi-camera to take pics of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom