how do you record your own songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfoster88

The Fly
how do you guys recording your own songs?

Can it be done from midi (ie. from my A3 to laptop) or do i need to buy some sort of mixer / box of tricks to record using the line out on my amp?

Using the lineout on your amp:

Connect it to the Microphone 'In' on the back of the laptop (do laptops have these ? i no standalones do)

Then download a program like audacity (freee on www.download.com) and then just record it in after hitting the record button. You will most likley have to fiddle about with the audio input levels first though, but that is no major issue.

All the best... and that will record into a .wav format, which you can then convert to whatever you desire

youll get the best amp tone if you mic the actual amp with something like an SM57 or a Sennheiser e609, I heard the 609 is better than the 57, but I havent tried it, the 57 is pretty much the classic mic for amps,snares,etc

thoguh if you do that experinment with the placing... you'll get a diffrent sound depending where you put it on the cone

Yeah, you can buy those! You can get a decent 4-track for under £100 these days!

I just bought a rather old four track with two tape decks, rather a lot of effects, and a record deck to boot. £30, so in answer to your question, that's how I'M going to be recording my songs from now on.

I think Miricale_Drug's suggestion using the "line out" from your amp to your PC's soundcard is the best, especially if you only have a budget mic, considering cost , and tape vs. mp3 etc. You can burn a CD of your recordings after they're on your hard drive. It's more "permanent", clearer, cleaner, editable, etc.
That's the method I've been trying lately and it's far better than using my 4 track tape recorder.

BTW, thanks for the tip on that program, gonna try that for sure!
Cheers

As I don't have much equipment, I usually play straight to the computer. Then modify the signal with effects via plugins. I think it is better, as you are free to modify everything, and burn your own cd's without paying too much

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Can't you get standalone recorders (e.g. 4-track, 8-track etc)? Would they be better than hooking it up to a computer?

The advantages of digital computer recording is, if you are using a click track and can keep time, you can merge multiple takes into one perfect track. You can do punch-ins without having to have someone else on standby to hit a record button.

You can add effects such as compression, delay, reverb, etc. Even with the Roland digital studios, you are limited on how much you can do. With the computer you are only limited by your RAM and your computers speed.

You can create track of other instrument via midi..ie. add the piano part for Miracle Drug without having a piano.

I use Logic on a Mac and it is great. Protools is excellent, but much more expensive and not as user friendly. I have heard that reason is good for PC users.

Down side is portibility unless you run it on a lap top then it is prefect for sequences. I know a few U2 tributes that run their track this way. Also, you are limited on inputs based on what kind of interface you get.

As for running direct, most direct outs for amps suck in my opinion. I have 2 Vox Valvetronix amps and they lack the balls via the direct out that the speakers put out. The Line 6 Pod is good, but reguires a bit of patience to dial in a good sound.

I still prefer to mic speakers with SM57 or doing something a bit further back with a 414.

any suggestions for acoustic songs? I don't have an electric/acoustic, so is a 4-track recorder my only option? I rather not use tape though, I'm not sure how to convert it to my computer

Back
Top Bottom