How do I get the Edge's "U2" sound? on guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for most of Edge's stuff, turn the bass down to -10, leave the mid at 0, and turn the treble way up. it'll sound bright, crunchy, crisp, and great.

Messenger said:
Does anyone know what your EQ should be on your amp while playing Edge's stuff? Mainly New Year's Day...that song is my revelation in tone.

It depends on your guitar. I play NYD with a strat, so to get Edge's les paul tone (using his tone from the Slane DVD for reference) I have to roll back my volume a bit, use my neck p'up, EQ my amp to be a bit more beefty, etc. But if I had a LP I wouldn't need to do that.

-Nick

GG_The_Fly said:

There's no way edge's picks should be #1 - that is absolutely the LEAST important thing in his arsenal - you need great vintage guitars, great vintage stompboxes (e.g., delay and distortion) and great vintage amps. . .

Actually, the picks are a HUGE part of his sound. Along with the modulated delay, they're one of the most important things.

Here's why:

Herdim picks are dimpled on both sides, along the grip portion. Edge has, almost since he started playing, played with the dimpled part, rather than the point of the pick. The result is that the little dimples produce a unique sound on the strings. That really brittle, crisp sound - the CHING sound? - that you hear on the arpeggiated notes? That's the pick on an upstroke.

It's gotten to the point where I treat the edges of my picks with a pocket knife, so they're very mildly serrated. It produces an amazingly Edge-like tone.

It's not the pick, per se, it's the way that particular pick is used, that produces a very key, but often overlooked, part of the sound.

EDIT: For a good example of the Herdim effect, listen to the chiming notes in Bad. You can hear a slight bite on the first of the notes (the second is a delayed repeat). That's an upstroke of the pick, with the dimples pulling on the string a little more than the relatively smooth edge of a normal pick.

Last edited:
Screw SDD3000. Wait 'till Line6 would release they're analog delay model for POD and then buy one for yourself. Or maybe buy it now. It's just a matter of time ;-).
Then just an EBow and Korg A3 and You're good to go.

Yes, You're right, discothequeLP. No substitute would sound as good as original. As sdd3000. But this litttle device costs lots of money and I doubt I would ever be able to buy one for myself.
Of course - PODxt Live isn't cheap, but gives you lots of possibilities, many more than single delaying unit like sdd3000 (which is, in my oppinion, a great device).

I have a budget Edge set up...

I have a reconditioned Les Paul

A Vox AC-15 Amp

Korg AX-100G - Good for Wah(built in expression pedal), Phaser, Chorus, Flange.

Has loads of good distortion effects too and a cool feedback effect to give the with or without you sound.

Reverb settings are ok but the delay is very limited not enough to give you the full edge sound.

But I do have a good delay pedal...

Zoom 508 Delay - I really recommend this, its the Edge on the cheap. Loads of different delay settings ping pong, vintage, mulit-tap ect and has a maximum of 4 secs.

Well worth a look.

I got my Korg AX-100 off ebay for £70
I bought the Zoom 508 for £40 few years back.

Hope this helps...

Jay

edge sound

I am new to this and also am trying to get somewhat of an edge sound as well. I have read other sites and it seems inorder to get a close sound requires a lot of money. I wanted to beable to get close to where the streets have no name and i still havent found what im looking for since these are my 2 favorites.

The classic Joshua tree sound can be achieved using:
* (Modulation) Delay
* Stratocaster guitar (or Telecaster if that's the only option)
* Pick with dimples on them, like these:
DunlopSNylonPicks.jpg

snarlingdogpicksgroup.jpg

If you can't get hold of Edge's Herdim picks of course. (hold them upside down as you hit the strings to get the chimey Edge sound)

I have a vox amp on order right now as well as a boss me-70 and a fender it was pretty much my whole xmas present to myself early so im hoping this helps me achieve the sounds i want

Back
Top Bottom