How can i improve my slide tone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
Hey boys/girls!

Just wondering, how can i improve my slide tone?

I love playing slide guitar, but i can never get the tone to sound nice like the pro's (eg edge, duh!)

What can i do to improve the tone? compression (if so, any idea's what kind of levels on my m13 would be good) ? certain distortions?

cheers
Chris

nobody got any answers? EO?

Compressor will help. As it helps with sustain.

Some overdrive is good too. Helps with sustain and thickens the tone.

Trailing your finger behind the slide helps.

You want to be right on top of the fret. Not in between. Not at an angle.

Not pressing down but 'sliding' it on the strings is key. If you press down the tone will suck.

What finger is your slide on? Edge uses his middle finger but is sort of the odd man out. Most use there 3rd/ring finger. Some, like in the video below, use their pinky.

Check this link. It could help a lot.

Video : Learn To Play Slide Guitar - Vidivodo

Plus there are tones of video on YouTube. Just put in "how to play slide guitar" or something of that nature and you are off the the (slide) races.

Pretty much all of what EO said. None of my electrics are really set up for slide, although I've done it from time to time with my Les Paul. Usually though I either use my lap steel or an acoustic I have with high action, and then I just jam a magnetic pickup in the soundhole.

Compression, some overdrive, both of those help.

you know, what i always wondered was does The Edge keep the slide on his finger throughout the whole song (for example: COBL) or does he take it off and put it back on throughout the song.

For songs like COBL he has a mini slide, the size of a fingertip. Dallas makes them himself. :) They're easy to put on and keep on while playing.

They ARE available. I'll see if I can find the link but I've been linked to them in the past. Wanted to order but didn't have a creditcard. I think they were Dunlops.

ETA: Don't have the link saved. Bugger.

My technique's pretty good, its more effects/types of distortion/od that i require guidance for.

you know, what i always wondered was does The Edge keep the slide on his finger throughout the whole song (for example: COBL) or does he take it off and put it back on throughout the song.

For COBL he uses a small slide, but for the Mysterious Ways solo, he grabs the slide right before the solo. (I'm not sure, but I think he has the slide hung from a magnet at the head of the guitar neck) And when he finishes playing the solo, he throws it away real quickly.

I think you can see him throwing it away on the Chicago DVD.

Back
Top Bottom