Hopefully to be my new bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beezd26

The Fly
So I was in Guitar Center the other day to get the action fixed on my Fender J bass. I need to make a mental note never to go into that place because I see all these pretty basses that I want to buy.
So I was looking and all of a sudden I was stopped in my tracks by the most gorgeous Fender J bass I have ever seen.

It was a Marcus Miller signature Fender J at more than half the normal selling price since it was used. But I didn't care I picked it up and now I have to have it. Its all Adam's fault and Mike Mills from REM cause they made me fall in love with natural wood finishes on basses.

So now tomorrow I may part with my Midnight wine Fender J bass and bring home this most bedazzeling J Bass.

Sounds good... can't go wrong with a Fender Jazz in my opinion. Nothing wrong with second hand stuff, I've only bought one new bass in the last ten years.

Yep I did get it.

Hopefully it will serve me well if I get the job as Mike Mills in an REM tribute band. *Crosses fingers*
I'll see if i can post a pic

Last edited:
Nice! Aren't Jazzes great? I have always loved Jazzes, though I have a soft spot for P-basses and Ricky 4001s as well. Is it active? The control section looks a bit different to a standard Jazz.

"Crosses Fingers" is a terrible name for an REM tribute, I'd work on that if I was you. :) As a matter of fact I was the guitarist/mandolinist in an REM tribute when I lived in London, UK up to about 4 years ago (I live in Canada now). Lots of good songs there to keep you going. Hope you get the gig!

The bands name as it stands now is "Reckoning" but it might change.

Yeah I love the J basses escpecially since my hands are small its easier for me to fret. I would love to play a P bass but the necks a tad bit too wide and they're a little too heavy for my shoulder....cause I broke my collar bone 2 years ago and i got a giant bump right where the strap lays, sometimes even my J bass causes some problems.

As for the controls on the bass they are modified cause its a Marcus Miller Signature. The bass came with active pickups and there's a switch to turn them on and off. Then there are two volume and two tone knobs, one for each pickup.
It made my life easier just to get this bass cause I was going to put EMG pickups in my old j bass.

Gragravar that's awesome you played in an REM tribute band. I love REM like I do U2. REM is a bit higher on my list right now cause actually met all of them in Detroit and then I met Mike Mills again in Chicago about two months later. So once I meet U2 they'll be even. I just hope I can do the REM tunes justice cause I haven't been playing for that long. The only time I've actually played in front of an audience was when I played 4 acoustic REM songs with half of the REM tribute band Reckoning. You just won't see me singing Mills' killer backups cause I haven't quite figured out how to sing and play bass at the same time.

Sounds great. Good luck with the audition for Reckoning, or maybe simply owning your spiffy new bass going to get you in without one. :)

Back
Top Bottom