Guitarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
Who of you is self taught? How did you learn guitar, and what or how do you practice?

I'm self taught, been playing for 2 years, and it doesnt seem like Ive been advancing at all. Will guitar lessons really improve my guitar playing?

i've been playing for about 5 years now. in the beginning, i took about 5 lessons, then i just taught myself from then on. i started out with just chords and then the penatonic scales and then playing difficult songs. im at the point now where i can pick up stuff by ear. you just gotta keep practicing and learn to play different songs, non u2. i branched out from U2 after about 2 years and my skills greatly improved.

I have also been playing for 5 years. I started out playing a few notes and some appregio figures(the best thing about Blink 182 being one of your favourite bands, and being your absolute favourite than is that there songs are DAMN easy, and you feel good learnign how to play them).

The first song I ever played was the first 2 notes to "Otherside" by Red Hot Chili Peppers... i just accidently figured it out....

For 5 years I've been playing and Im a solid guitar player. The Edge would be pretty impressed by my skills (and by impressed I mean laughing hysterically...).

LoL. JMScoopy said it all about how to learn. Practice lots and lots!

i've been playing for 4 years, taking lessons most of that time :up:

i used to practice a lesson of some form like such and such scale etc, now i'm to the point where my teacher will show me some musical concept at my lesson and i try and play with that during the week etc.

I teach myself ... i had lessons for about 6 months because i was doing constant music exams for school so i had to get to a decent standard of playing ... i found the best way to learn and to train your ear is to always play scales

i mostly taught myself. i took about 4 lessons a really long time ago, and it was useful insofar as i learned the 'basics', but in terms of what i can do now, i taught myself everything. i think the most important thing is to practice all the time. the first few years i was playing, i thought i was horrible at it... but then i realised that it was because i never practiced. i'd try something for 5 minutes, then give up. you just have to be persistent! if you are, you can teach yourself anything. good luck!

I've been playing for almost 9 years. I started when I was 11, I'll be 20 in April.

I took lessons for about 1-1/2 years. After that I just learned from the old praise team leader at my church and jamming with different people. U2 has been a big influence on my playing too.:wink:

I've been playing the guitar for five years. It'll be six this April (I got my first guitar on my thirteenth birthday.) Practically everything I've learnt about the guitar has been self-taught. When I started out, I did have two guitar theory books that I sometimes read, but other than that, no formal teaching.

Guitar lessons might improve your playing. I think it depends on the type of sound you're going for. I've considered getting a few lessons myself, because I'm quite unimpressed with my soloing ability. Rhythmic, minimalist guitar is my specialty (think U2, Modest Mouse, certain elements of Radiohead, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc.) but I'd love to be able to crank out a giant David Gilmour solo, or something like that. I just need to get the kinks out, and think that a proper teacher might be able to help.

So yeah, if you want to try to branch out into more technically-orientated stuff, lessons might be the way to go. At least a teacher would force you to learn the scales (I'm very bad when it comes to practising scales :wink: ) And don't limit yourself to U2 either. That's the mistake I made. The Edge is a great guitarist, yes, but if you limit yourself to that style, your skills (mine did, at least) kind of tend to deteriorate.

GibsonGirl said:
And don't limit yourself to U2 either. That's the mistake I made. The Edge is a great guitarist, yes, but if you limit yourself to that style, your skills (mine did, at least) kind of tend to deteriorate.

:yes: Exactly

ive been playing for about 5 years, i have a teacher, but i wouldnt say hes taught me anything valuble, like theory etc.

dont know any scales, but i know chords, just not what notes they are. :wink:
i like to think im an ok guitarist. i can figure out songs by myself, im just too lazy too. :)

When I still ived at home our neighbour gave me some lessons in the basics. THe rest I more or less discovered by muddling along. I just don't have the patience or selfdiscipline to sit back and regularly practice. I just like to play and jam along with my favorite songs. Which is great way to learn how to play songs by ear. At times I'm amazed by how easy and how quickly people rush to boards like this and ask for tabs to sometimes fairly easy songs. I didn't have that luxury in the 80's. Aint technology great? :wink:

Technically I'm not that developed. What I lack in quality I make up for in large quantities of guitars and effects.

Sting said:
The first song I ever played was the first 2 notes to "Otherside" by Red Hot Chili Peppers... i just accidently figured it out....
lol YAY!! otherside is such a great song. it's like the perfect mix between hard rock and soft rock. pretty basic chord progression, too.

yeah, i picked up the guitar a little over a year ago, and i've never had a lesson, but just practicing and playing lots of different kinds of songs helped a lot. i wouldn't say i'm super good or anything, but if you really want to improve you have to challenge yourself and of course, practice practice practice. if practice doesn't make perfect, it pretty well sure makes decent. ;]

I'm completely self taught and have been using the same exact guitar since I began which was a little over two years ago.
I took one lesson and figured out on my own that I didn't care about learning by the book or at a given pace, I wanted to learn on my own at my own pace.

I think I'd be a better guitarist if I had the money for theory books/effects/better gear in general. I've been using the same starter pack this whole time and it's a pretty little pile of poop. :up:

tuwie said:
lol YAY!! otherside is such a great song. it's like the perfect mix between hard rock and soft rock. pretty basic chord progression, too.

yeah, i picked up the guitar a little over a year ago, and i've never had a lesson, but just practicing and playing lots of different kinds of songs helped a lot. i wouldn't say i'm super good or anything, but if you really want to improve you have to challenge yourself and of course, practice practice practice. if practice doesn't make perfect, it pretty well sure makes decent. ;]

It is! RHCP are an incredible band!

I've been playing a little over 10 years (and still suck, LOL) I took lessons for a few years and then stopped for a long time. Last year I started lessons again and my playing has greatly improved in the last year. Lesson's help me to stay focused on what I need to practice to improve my playing.

Back
Top Bottom