Guitar Vs Bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
Ive always played the drums but im looking to start either playing the guitar or bass. I may be more quick to pick up the bass because it is more of a rhythm instrument. Im torn to invest my money in either playing guitar or bass. What do you guys think would be easiest and more time friendly to learn? I want to learn to play the edges best stuff but it seems more feasible and economical to learn adam.

I play both, started with acc guitar, bought electric... half a year later I got offered basslessons and bought a bass.. I still play both but I really think it depends on what song I want to play what instrument I use..

overall, when you're a rhytmn player, I'd say the bass is the most preferrable instrument.. when you want to be able to play songs for people to sing along and most popular songs, pick guitar... guitar is more a crowd instrument imo, like, everyone sitting around a fire, you'll never find anyone getting a bass :)

I do find the bass more pleasant to play, since the strings aren't as packed... and yea, it's only notes, no chords or whatever!

Learning guitar helps you learn bass, but learning bass does not really help you with guitar as much as the former scenario.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years and bass for about 18 months. It's true, it is easier to work from guitar to bass than bass to guitar, at least in my opinion. Mainly because learning the guitar covers the fundamentals of a bass. It's just a guitar one octave lower with the two most treble strings missing.

The strangest hurdle to get over is not playing any chords, so in an odd way playing bass is kind of like constantly playing a bizarre lead or scale or something. But then again I'm not master bass player. I'm just functional.

I play guitar because of my idol Ace Frehley, if Ace played Bass instead of guitar then who knows

Methinks if Ace played bass you would probably never have heard of him. While playing guitar does enable you to play bass, most guitar players that do end up playing bass (which is probably a lot) never become outstanding bass players. In the end it's still a completely different instrument that requires full dedication.

Methinks if Ace played bass you would probably never have heard of him. While playing guitar does enable you to play bass, most guitar players that do end up playing bass (which is probably a lot) never become outstanding bass players. In the end it's still a completely different instrument that requires full dedication.

Not true, I still am a big difference but I was only influenced by one video that made me want to pick up a guitar. Ace frehley's solo, 1st night of houston on the 1977 love gun tour.

Ace did play a lot of bass on his solo record too.

Not true, I still am a big difference but I was only influenced by one video that made me want to pick up a guitar. Ace frehley's solo, 1st night of houston on the 1977 love gun tour.

Ace did play a lot of bass on his solo record too.

You play the guitar because of Ace's guitar work. That was what made you take notice of Ace Freeley. That's why you got his solo record. On which I assume his guitarplaying takes center stage.

Usually when you have a record where the guitar takes center stage the other instruments take a supporting role. Methinks Ace Freeley's bass work on that record is therefore keyed to support his guitar playing and probably his singing if he does so. Everything leads me to deduce that Ace Freeley's bass playing is therefore not that of the caliber of a Flea, Jacco Pastorius or a Bootsy Collins.

Again, just because you know how to play bass because you're a guitarist doesn't mean you become a bass player when you pick up the instrument. Like any instrument it requires true dedication. And I suspect the reason why true masters of the bass guitar blow us away is because most bass players are guitarists who can't find a band to play guitar in, or the chumps. Who when bands were being formed drew the short straw and were given a bass guitar and told to just play along with the guitar chords and keep in tempo with the drummer.

I think it's easier to write songs on guitar, chords are a great way to start composing, as for bass, I think if you were as good as enwistle, you'd be a good song writer, I'm not saying all bass players are no good at writing songs, guitars alot easy to when it comes to writing songs

I think guitar would be better to learn, after you've mastered power chords, you can move onto bass

Back
Top Bottom