Guitar tuners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Guitar tuners:

Dallas Schoo uses a variety of Peterson strobe tuners for The Edge's guitars.

Peterson V-Sam Tuner
Peterson Strobe Tuners - V-SAM™ Virtual Strobe™ / Audio Tuner with Metronome

Peterson VS-F Strobo Flip
Peterson Strobe Tuners

Peterson VS-R Strobo Rack Tuner
Peterson Strobe Tuners

The Peterson tuners are not cheap but they are amazingly accurate.

Alternate tuners?

Boss TU-12 and TU-2 are good. But for near the same price you can get something far more accurate. What would that be? The TC Electronics Polytune.

It will be the best $99.99 you ever spent. It works for guitar, bass. It can be used as a chromatic tuner, to tune one string at a time.

If you strum all 6 strings it works in "polytune" mode which will show you which of the 6 strings you just strummed are out of tune. Great for fast cleanup of tuning will on stage.

You can also set it to strobe-tune which is very accurate.

You can ALSO set the tuner for a guitar tuning of E, Eb, D, C or B. Helpful if you are switching between E and Eflat tunings.

The "Polytune" mode doesn't work with Drop D, open or modal tunings (alternative tunings) but the it can still be used in the single string at a time "Chromatic" mode.

Again, it will be the best $99.99 you ever spent. It's far more accurate than Boss tuners. (And Boss tuners are not horrible).

A better tuner? Don't know there is one is this price range. The Peterson Strobo-Stomp, and Flip-Strobe are amazing, accurate and $200 to $300.

For my tech gig w/Joshua Tree, I used a Boss TU-12 to get the guitars close and Peterson Strobo-Stomp to dial in the accuracy. I will now be using the TC Electronics Polytune to get things close to perfect and Peterson to get them dead on.

Why not JUST the Peterson? If you've used a strobe tuner you will see that they are very sensitive. So if the guitar is VERY out or you are re-stringing a guitar, the display will spin like the Price Is Right wheel! (until you are closer to in tune) I have just found it easier to get them close with a chromatic tuner and then fine tune with the strobe tuner.

Good tuning will improve your tone. Some tune by ear or get it 'close enough'. But what you will find with a quality tuner is that when you are better tuned and one string isn't just a slight fraction off, your tone will sound miles better. And once your ears get used to it, you will get a better ear for tuning.

Just thought I'd share.

Nice post!:D:up: I never really payed much attention to tuners before. Now I might have to get one of these. I currently use the tuner on my Fender GDEC and it is doing a great job. But I would be much much better off with a tuner pedal for when I have gigs. The tuner on my M13 is off. Is there any way to adjust it? I was thinking there might be a way to adjust the accuracy but I haven't found a way.:hmm:

The tuner on the M13 is not bad. You just hold the TUNER button down for a few seconds and it is on. And then after tuner tap it off.

The M13 tuner like many chromatic tuners is pretty good. A strobe tuner is more accurate.

But if you are up for a great tuner and for a decent price, the TC Electronics Polytune is fantastic. As mentioned, you can strum all strings and see which are out. You can use it as a chromatic tuner, tuning each string one at a time or a strobe tuner and tune each string one at a time.

Demo here:

YouTube - TC Electronic Polytune

and here:
YouTube - This is PolyTune from TC Electronic! (HD)

More information here:
TC Electronic | PolyTune - Still tuning one string at a time?

And it won 'best of' awards from Guitar World, Premier Guitar and other notable guitar resources.

Bang for the buck. Considering a Boss Tuner is in the $89.00 range, a mere $10 more gets you more speed, accuracy, variety of tuning (poly, chromatic or strobe), good for bass or guitar in the needle poly and chromatic modes and strobe modes) smaller imprint on your pedal board... It's win/win.

My Peterson Strobo-Stomp is still king. It's super accurate. It's pro-quality. And if it's good enough for Dallas, it's good enough for me! But the PolyTune is the one that helps with speed and getting things very very close to perfect and the Peterson nails it. Now that is for my use and for tech gigs. That is not to say that anyone needs two tuners. Many could make due with the Polytuner alone. I choose to use both so I have solid plan to get the guitars as best tuned as possible. This is super helpful as some U2 songs use a capo and that requires some retuning. (If you take a guitar in Eb and pop a capo on the 2nd fret for "I Still Haven't Found..." it isn't perfect, you need to re-tune once the capo is on or you could be out of tune with your bass player).

Anywho... TC Electronic Polytune. Top drawer tuner. Great gear. 5 stars. And in the $100 and under range, can't be beat. I got lucky, mine was a gift but seriously it will be the best $99.99 you ever spent.

Nice post!:D:up: I never really payed much attention to tuners before. Now I might have to get one of these. I currently use the tuner on my Fender GDEC and it is doing a great job. But I would be much much better off with a tuner pedal for when I have gigs. The tuner on my M13 is off. Is there any way to adjust it? I was thinking there might be a way to adjust the accuracy but I haven't found a way.:hmm:

Cheers for this, I've been looking for a good tuner. The only reason I favor the Boss TU-3 is because I'd be able to use it as the main power source for my other Boss pedals. They're currently all running on batteries and I'm not a great fan of that.

Any comparison between the TU-2 and TU-3? I've googled a bit and the TU-3 seems to have the edge (no pun intended).

Cheers for this, I've been looking for a good tuner. The only reason I favor the Boss TU-3 is because I'd be able to use it as the main power source for my other Boss pedals. They're currently all running on batteries and I'm not a great fan of that.

Any comparison between the TU-2 and TU-3? I've googled a bit and the TU-3 seems to have the edge (no pun intended).

Polytune can power your pedals too. And it a far more accurate pedal than the Boss.

Great, didn't know that. The youtube reviews look awesome. Might have to go with this one.

Same here. I'm laying down my next $100 on this pedal.:D:up: From everything I've read it just sounds so awesome! Plus it can power your other pedals. Every one of my pedals (except the EHX #1 Echo and Line 6 M13) are run by batteries. WHich sucks cause every once in a short while I have to go out and buy new batteries. Which gets annoying. So TC Electronic, you are AWESOME!:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom