Guitar Question for the guitar PROS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
Ok, I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Studio, and I get a free pro guitar setups(whatever guage strings I want, and how I want my action set). That is the problem, I have no idea what strings to get, or how to set my action? ANy suggestions please help me. I play alot of U2, so anything that you know that will help me get the U2 sound better. Or anything at all, please someone help me.
Thanks

Thanks, Ill post the guitar tonight, as Im going to work right now. But please anyone else- help

A complete set of strings can usually be purchased for less than $10 so I wouldn't stress over which gauge you pick. Typically, heavier/thicker gauges sound better but are harder on the fingers and more difficult to bend. I would go with a medium gauge. The last person quoted getting a 0.11 e string; not sure if that is low or medium gauge but I have purchased those before and they are fine.

For the action, I personally like my strings to be close to the fret board (low action). Gibson's typically have fairly low action as default so again I would choose an average/medium action setting.

On both of these counts (string and action), neither will have much effect on your ability to produce the U2 sound. That has much more to do with your electronic set up such as the amp, guitar pickups and effects pedals. All of which I don't know too much about other than to say you might want to do some research as to what 'digital delay' set up edge uses. He uses digital delay a whole wack; so much so that they should almost rename the effect after him.

PS - Gibson necks are very fragile. Someone tipped over my Gibson SG (guitar used in song Elevation) and the head snapped clean right off . Make sure that you have a proper guitar stand to prevent an expensive accident. Lucky for me my Uncle is a master of woodwork and was able to revive my SG.

I'd suggest Ernie Ball, 10 - 46 which i think could be described as medium or possibly medium light. If you want something a little easier to play (i.e. lighter) I'd try the 09 - 46 set. You might find the lighter ones easier to play at first until you build up hand/finger strength. Strings are cheap so if you're not happy try another brand/gauge until you are.

There are advantages to using heavier strings. A pickup is basically an electromagnet and the more metal/the heavier the string that moves through the magnetic field the greater the output the pickup produces. More output is a good thing. Heavier strings are also less prone to going out of tune and I find it harder to break them as well. Most people don't want to play with heavy sets because the guitar is that much harder to play so medium is a good compromise. Anyway try a few sets and see how you get on.

Good luck!

Last edited:
DR Tite-Fit EHR 11-50. Edge's old strings. Best strings i've tried, really bright and long lasting, and they're pretty cheap about $5 a pack

the Edge uses heavy gauge strings. At least .10 for a strat (although I read an interview in the 80s that said he uses .11s or .12s) He doesn't bend alot of notes so it works. You might need to adjust the intonation if the strings are really heavy.

On a Les paul type guitar, the scale of the neck is shorter so you need heavier strings than a strat, at least .11s.

the 2 biggest keys to the Edge's sound: echo (delay) pedal and Herdim picks.

He used ElectroHarmonix Memory Man (Analog) Delayon the 1st 3 albums and a Korg SDD-3000 dIGITAL dELAY ever since. The Memory Man did not originally have enough delay time for the Unforgettable Fire tracks. That's one reason why he switched.
Any of the Line 6 delays should be more than adequate today.

If you're playing with a drummer it's good to have a "tap tempo" function so you can tap in the time if the drummer goes off time.

The secret to the Herdim pick (Herco will also work) is the the rough plastic grip on the holding end. You turn the pick around and play with the blunt "grip" end. Just "zing" the grip off the string, with echo, and "instant Edge". When you get more money, buy a Vox AC30 amplifier.

That being said, I'm sure the Edge would engourage you to find your own sound. But it can get you started because it's inspirational while learning to be able to create the sounds you hear on the radio

I always buy d'addario. .12 strings are thicker and harder to bend, but stay in tune easier and do not break. .09 are easiest to break and bend and don't stay in tune as easily. I usually use .11s and always suggest them to people. Good job on going Gibson, though!

And, drhark knows what he's talking about with the Edge's set up. Line 6 delay (DL4 I believe) is top of the line and Vox AC30 is what the Edge uses often....

I ordered the blue but they sent the red. Too flimsy for me. Blue were on backorder but they'll ship when they get them in. I really hope the red aren't thicker.

Back
Top Bottom