Guitar Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fernando-

Refugee
Ok, so I recently changed the strings of one of my guitars and I couldn't help but notice how much dirt had been accumulated on the fretboard over the years, and so I remembered I once bought some guitar polish and fretboard cleaners a few years back but I had never actually tried them. And since I don't have much insight on this matter, I thought I would ask you guys what do you use to keep your guitars up to their maximum. How often do you change the strings? Which products would you recommend? So feel free to add any recommendations and/or tips on this matter.

I used this Dunlop fretboard cleaner:

Dunlop_Dunlop_Fingerboard_01_Cleaner_&_Prep_Medium-uGohOPFkX.jpg

This one is the step one out of two for the fretboard maintenance, the second being the "conditioner" (which I don't have) And I think it did a rather good job considering all those years dirt accretion, I guess it could use another hand but I guess I will have to wait next time I change the strings. Also, while looking a bit more on this matter, I found this one, wich looks pretty good:

DunlopFretboard65UltimateLemonOilStandard.jpg

I once saw a TV show from the BBC where they recommended using lemon wax for cleaning your guitar's fretboard. And I guess this is the same stuff they were talking about.

I don't know much about fretboard cleaners but I have the exact same brand for polishing up my guitars. It cleans them very well. I had a whole lot of sweat and dirt accumulation on my Telecaster and I just sprayed some of it on there and boom took it all right off. It now shines very well. It has also been keeping it fairly clean. So I'm just saying that it's a good product and I recommend Dunlop.

I'm about to change the strings on my LP and so I'll probably get some fretboard cleaner and check it out. I tried out some Lemon oil on the fretboard last year and it has worked wonders for my LP's fretboard. You don't want to soak your fretboard in it but just enough to work with. I used some Q tips to spread it. My fretboard looks good, it's no longer dry, and it definitely got the grime off it. You don't have to worry about doing the Lemon oil except for about once every year. I probably should do that again since it's been while.

I don't know much about fretboard cleaners but I have the exact same brand for polishing up my guitars. It cleans them very well. I had a whole lot of sweat and dirt accumulation on my Telecaster and I just sprayed some of it on there and boom took it all right off. It now shines very well. It has also been keeping it fairly clean. So I'm just saying that it's a good product and I recommend Dunlop.

I'm about to change the strings on my LP and so I'll probably get some fretboard cleaner and check it out. I tried out some Lemon oil on the fretboard last year and it has worked wonders for my LP's fretboard. You don't want to soak your fretboard in it but just enough to work with. I used some Q tips to spread it. My fretboard looks good, it's no longer dry, and it definitely got the grime off it. You don't have to worry about doing the Lemon oil except for about once every year. I probably should do that again since it's been while.

Yeah, I really want to try the lemon oil stuff. As for the body polishing I have this one:

50727_l.jpg

It works pretty well, but I have not tried any other brand so I can't tell if this one is better than Dunlop.

a little tip, is to wipe your strings off after you played.this will get any oils or sweat off the strings,and any on the fingerboard,and remember wash your hands before you play.

^ Good tip, I always make sure to wash my hands before playing. I also have a string cleaner and conditioner also made by Dunlop, but I always though that it was pretty pointless since it's best just to change the strings as often as you can, but now that you mention to clean out the oil or sweat or any other residue after playing, it does make sense. Plus, sometimes you just can't afford to buy a lot of strings. That's when this product comes in handy, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom