Gone live in Boston 2001

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breathe

Refugee
Miami...New Orleans..Belfast and....Miami
i was just watching the performance and i realized that the Edge is using two different Rick's!!! i know it was filmed during two nights and that edge pretty much destroyed one at the end of the song is that why he is using a different one on the second night?

You can see Edge playing his 1967 Fireglo Rickenbacker 330 12-string in some shots and a Jetglo (black) Rickenbacker 360 in other shots.

The difference being that they were shot from different shows.

U2 played Boston 4 nights. June 05, 06, 08 & 09, 2001. Boston, MA at Fleet Center. I think the filming was from nights 3 & 4.

The issue was that Edge thought they killed the song/played it horribly. In the footage, you see Edge throw his Fireglo finsh Ric to the ground and then come back and kick it. He damaged it and hence the Jetglo (black) Ric 360 12-string was used the next night.

In fact, they'd even called out to Boston GuitarWorks to see about borrowing a Fireglo 330 12-string so that the filming would have continuity. Boston Guitarworks didn't have a mid-60's 330 12-string but did send over a 64 reissue 360, similar to the one George Harrison used. (Original 360's were the same shape as 330's but with white binding). In the end, Edge didn't use the guitar that Boston GuitarWorks sent over but DID autograph it for them. Boston GuitarWorks had it on thier website for a few years, listed at around $4,600.00 (if memory serves). They must have eventually sold it as I don't see it on their site now.

For those complaining that U2 are very careful about what it released to the public, I thought it was honest and refreshing that they left that in -- Edge sort of losing it for a minute. It's almost funny, I mean to throw it down is one thing but to then come back and kick it?!?!

If you watch the alternate camera angles, you see Edge go up to Larry after the tune and he's yelling something at him. I'm pretty sure he's not saying "nice job".

YouTube - U2 - Gone live from Boston

He did an online MSN chat not long after that show. Someone asked. He said that they were "murdering the song". I had a few friends that said it was just one of those shows where Edge seemed to have a few things go wrong. I guess there were guitar issues on the song before "Gone" and that along with Larry apparently rushing... Equal Rickenbacker abuse.

Edge has since been to the guitar therapist and no longer throws guitars in anger. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom