Gibson Explorer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I'm not sure. I know he goes guitar shopping though during tours and will pick up a new guitar. I've not seen many videos since early 2010 so I don't know for sure, but I think he's using an all black Strat during Streets this tour. It could be the same one he used on Vertigo Tour. That or I am wrong.:lol: Or maybe that's for Bad. This is a time when we need E_O!:wink:

His original 1976 Gibson Limited Edition Explorer is for studio use only these days.

Edge has 13 (at last count) 1976 Limited Edition Explorers. I was at GC Hollywood when Dallas bought # 12.

I am not 100% sure that the all-black Strat used for "...Streets..." is the one from the early years. It does appear to be the same all-black Stratocaster used for "...Streets..." on the last two tours. (Vertigo and 360)

My theory is that the original is not in use and that the one being used, once had a white pickguard. Working on confirmation (or not) of the theory.

Dallas shops for guitars for Edge all the time. He searches guitars for Bono and bass guitars for Adam too. There are certain things he's looking for, certain models and vintages of guitars for Edge / bass guitars for Adam. So some of the shops know that if a such and such bass shows up in their shop, call Dallas; that sort of thing.

Where does he shop? Loads of places. Pretty much wherever there are vintage guitars.

I remember in one BBC video (I think) from their studio, one of the guitars in the rack was a 56 goldtop LP (or older) with P90s in it. Which I've never seen him play live. It makes me wonder where it may have turned up on a recording.

I remember in one BBC video (I think) from their studio, one of the guitars in the rack was a 56 goldtop LP (or older) with P90s in it. Which I've never seen him play live. It makes me wonder where it may have turned up on a recording.

There is a picture of a guitar rack in a book called "U2 Show" that shows not only the blue Jaguar (seen in the Electrical Storm video) but a white one and a Les Paul Jr.

In "U2 & I" book by Anton Corbin, there is a Passenger's era picture of Edge with a single cutaway Gretsch Country Gentleman (Must be a pre-1962 model). Again, just in the studio and not seen live.

Also, there is the picture of Edge in the storage room at Hanover Quay. There are TONS of guitar cases in that room. Some are probably Adam's bass guitar and Bono's guitars. So there is a good chance that much of what he has, we've not seen.

Back
Top Bottom