Gearing up a U2 tribute band, question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USAU2fan1

The Fly
Hey friends,

So my friend and I are just in the planning stages of starting a U2 cover band. It is exceedingly fun and we are having a blast. There is NO competition here in the South (US) so I guess we can quickly call ourselves the best U2 tribute band around! haha Kidding

I had two question please. One, if we were going to use a backing track of the "background" vocals like U2 does in concert, can anyone here offer any advice on that. We thought it might be fun for us to have the real U2 doing the background vocals. Any suggestions? Is there a cd out there that allows this to happen?

Second, what was the original Microphone stand that Bono uses? I have been unable to locate the original, but I know there is a new company making replicas. Any word on the specs from what he really uses for his mic stand?

I have other questions, but I'll just start with those two first. Thanks for your help and advice! :wave:

---Chuck

Thanks for the info! I appreciate the help with the mic stand!

Are there any members here in U2 Tribute Bands that use the backing vocals like U2 does in concert? Any suggestion on how to accomplish this feat live for our band?

Thanks!

--Chuck

All the backing vocals UF does are live, but you can put them (along with the other synth/keyboard stuff) onto an Ipod...right channel for click, left channel to the PA.

Thing is, most bands (especially the drummers) need to do a LOT of practice to get this tight.

You know, my wife and I were just watching some old U2 live in concert, and the problem is you can here Bono's background vocals in the song "Beautiful Day" when he is clearly NOT singing them. I will see if I can find a clip.

I don't have a problem with this at all. But unless I am really mistaken, I think there are several examples of them having background vocals and a few other background noises (Zoo Station, the Fly) where they can't possibly be playing every different part live.

Like I said, I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure they are using backing vocals, not lip syncing, but some of the background vocals seem to be prerecorded....

You know, my wife and I were just watching some old U2 live in concert, and the problem is you can here Bono's background vocals in the song "Beautiful Day" when he is clearly NOT singing them. I will see if I can find a clip.

I don't have a problem with this at all. But unless I am really mistaken, I think there are several examples of them having background vocals and a few other background noises (Zoo Station, the Fly) where they can't possibly be playing every different part live.

Like I said, I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure they are using backing vocals, not lip syncing, but some of the background vocals seem to be prerecorded....

You are correct, especially on Beautiful Day and the "Hello Hello" part in Vertigo. Like I said, a click track and lots of practice. :huh:

Are any layers of tracks from U2 available anywhere? I mean, background vocals from their songs that we might be able to add in our live concerts? Does that make sense what I am asking? LOL

That would kick butt if we could have Bono and the boys doing the "Ola" and the background voices in our shows!!

We build our own backing tracks in Reason and play them straight from a Macbook on stage, splitting a click track left and the backing track to the house right. We haven't used any vocal samples and try to do all the singing live if we can. To my knowledge, there are no individually isolated tracks of U2 music available to use in the way that you're asking.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom