Garageband 2.0 & Online Support Sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
Hey all-

After a recently debacle with a dying Inspiron laptop, I made the plunge into the mac world and purchased a G4 powerbook. . . first off, let me say :drool:

Macs are so MUCH F'ing better than PCs- holy crap, I was such a moron to wait this long. Garageband is awesome and I am trying to learn the program but I wanted to know if there were sites out there dedicated to plug ins/settings where instead of the goofy apple euphimisms, I could actually see what their names for guitars were trying to emulate (e.g., the clean american tone is really a _____ guitar, for example).

Furthemore, does anybody here have good luck with emulating the edge's sound on GB 2.0? I have a nice collection of stompboxes, but I would love to be able to do it without the hardware (which would allow for less lugging up and down the stairs of more guitars and my pedal board). Hope this makes sense. Thanks! :)

GG_The_Fly said:
Hey all-

After a recently debacle with a dying Inspiron laptop, I made the plunge into the mac world and purchased a G4 powerbook. . . first off, let me say :drool:

Macs are so MUCH F'ing better than PCs- holy crap, I was such a moron to wait this long. Garageband is awesome and I am trying to learn the program but I wanted to know if there were sites out there dedicated to plug ins/settings where instead of the goofy apple euphimisms, I could actually see what their names for guitars were trying to emulate (e.g., the clean american tone is really a _____ guitar, for example).

Furthemore, does anybody here have good luck with emulating the edge's sound on GB 2.0? I have a nice collection of stompboxes, but I would love to be able to do it without the hardware (which would allow for less lugging up and down the stairs of more guitars and my pedal board). Hope this makes sense. Thanks! :)

Hi there Fly,
I'm a mac user and a GB user, and I've been searching for a site like the one you described for ages. I still haven't found what I'm looking for! The way GB's amp models respond to playing makes me think it's not really possible to get a good "edge" tone out of it. They either break up wrong, or just don't sound right. You may have to bring out those stomp boxes, I'm afraid. You could try to post this question on Apple's GB discussion board, that might get a reply or two.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Me know if you do.

-Nick

Re: Re: Garageband 2.0 & Online Support Sites

Only Alive said:

Hi there Fly,
I'm a mac user and a GB user, and I've been searching for a site like the one you described for ages. I still haven't found what I'm looking for! The way GB's amp models respond to playing makes me think it's not really possible to get a good "edge" tone out of it. They either break up wrong, or just don't sound right. You may have to bring out those stomp boxes, I'm afraid. You could try to post this question on Apple's GB discussion board, that might get a reply or two.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Me know if you do.

-Nick

Nick-

Prepare to be blown away - go to this site: Mac Song Tools

and download 'Tone Heaven Vol. 1' -- :drool:

The best $20 guitar investment you can make - FAR better than the rip-off mac plug ins - this has hundreds of amps- including an 'edge' setting as well as for Mysterious Ways- tons of AC-30, Marshall settings and many many guitars. I will be up all night with this thing!! :D

GG, when you use Garageband, are the effects "real time"? i mean, can you actually plug a guitar into the compy and send the sound out to an amp and play, with all the amp models/effects on? is it bascially like a digital effects processor through your computer, or are the effects just after effects for recorded bits?

discothequeLP said:
GG, when you use Garageband, are the effects "real time"? i mean, can you actually plug a guitar into the compy and send the sound out to an amp and play, with all the amp models/effects on? is it bascially like a digital effects processor through your computer, or are the effects just after effects for recorded bits?

I think the effects are seperate, because after I record I can take off all the effects and get my clean guitar, add new effects, etc. I've never tried sending it out to an amp before, but I know there are bands that use GB when playing live. Don't know if they do it for the midi, or for the guitar, or what.

-Nick

discothequeLP said:

Absolutely -- unless I try to enhance the tuning or timing, in which case there is a slight lag -- but in general there is ABSOLUTELY NO LAG -- it works awesomely in real time -- with Tone Heaven, Vol 1, I can use settings like 'AC-30 into Marshall' or 'Edge Echo' or 'Mysterious Ways.'

I've been shocked by how well it works -- my stomp boxes are useless now -- seriously! -- but I do have two products by M-Audio that make it easier -- the Mobile Pre USB and the iControl. The preamp makes everything easier, it has 2 high-impedance line ins for guitar, bass, etc and stereo line outs and a headphone out. I then use the computer's output to connect to the amplifiers.

Bottom line: it works GREAT!

!!!! dude, that sounds so cool! imagine -- playing a gig, and showing up with a wah pedal, maybe a distortion pedal, and an ibook! haha, that sounds so great! i really want to get something like that!!!

another question -- can you edit your own effects presets, and save them, like a standard multi effects pedal? (i'm getting really psyched up about this man!)

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
!!!! dude, that sounds so cool! imagine -- playing a gig, and showing up with a wah pedal, maybe a distortion pedal, and an ibook! haha, that sounds so great! i really want to get something like that!!!

another question -- can you edit your own effects presets, and save them, like a standard multi effects pedal? (i'm getting really psyched up about this man!)

It's f'ing great. . . it would work wonderfully live except for one thing: changing effects on the fly requires you to select a new instrument track - so, let's say track 1 is a piano preset/backing track, 2 is a AC-30 plugged into a Marshall, 3 is a distortion track and 4 an extended echo track -- you need the arrow keys to change between tracks (or hitting the 'select track' button if you have the iControl. I guess you could change channels with your foot if the iControl was on the ground but it certainly isn't built like a stomp box -- otherwise, you'd need to still bring your pedals. . . I am sure there are products out there that would work around this (at least, eventually). However, for messing around by yourself and recording stuff at home (relatively cheaply) -- this can't be beat. . . :)

bfoster88 said:
is there a similar program for PCs on Windows?

Garageband is only for Macs and it comes standard on all computers. I am sure there are analogous windows programs, but i've never used them. . . they MUST exist, however. . . :edge:

GG_The_Fly said:

It's f'ing great. . . it would work wonderfully live except for one thing: changing effects on the fly requires you to select a new instrument track - so, let's say track 1 is a piano preset/backing track, 2 is a AC-30 plugged into a Marshall, 3 is a distortion track and 4 an extended echo track -- you need the arrow keys to change between tracks (or hitting the 'select track' button if you have the iControl. I guess you could change channels with your foot if the iControl was on the ground but it certainly isn't built like a stomp box -- otherwise, you'd need to still bring your pedals. . . I am sure there are products out there that would work around this (at least, eventually). However, for messing around by yourself and recording stuff at home (relatively cheaply) -- this can't be beat. . . :)

I wonder if it's possible to use this with GB.

http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse04/Content/Native_Instruments/PR/Guitar-Rig.html

-Nick

GG_The_Fly said:

The Guitar Rig program??? That's some friend!

yeah, i know. . .

anyways, Guitar Rig is great. the Delay is average, the Distortions are pretty cool, and the AC-30 amp modeling is pretty damn good. if the delays were a little more tweakable, i'd probably buy a laptop to use as an effects processor with this thing!

discothequeLP said:

yeah, i know. . .

anyways, Guitar Rig is great. the Delay is average, the Distortions are pretty cool, and the AC-30 amp modeling is pretty damn good. if the delays were a little more tweakable, i'd probably buy a laptop to use as an effects processor with this thing!

Very cool. But couldn't you just throw a Line 6 Echo Park (my personal favorite delay) into the signal before you run through the computer?

-Nick

yeah, i guess you could do that. the delays would be good if they were loud enough. the but Tubescreamer effect is pretty damn good!

also 'found' a copy of Guitar Rig - looks like fun!

Seems to have a good setup of different effects and amp models to play with!

GG_The_Fly said:
Is the guitar rig software compatible with GarageBand? Or is there recording software that comes with the virtual rig?

I'd be interested to know this too. Is Rig an audiosuite or vst plugin style deal, or is it a complete standalone app?

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom