frustrated with WTSHNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ufboy73

The Fly
first, let me preface this with an admission that i am NOT a good guitar player

i used to play in HS and college but after a hiatus of 10 years, i decided to try and pick up the habit again

i love U2 and the edge sound! when i was younger, i tried for a long time to try and be able to play streets - no luck! after the break, i recalled always wanting to play streets but remembered the frustration....so, this time i resolved that i would keep at it until i got it...still no luck!!:(

i have got (what i think) is a good tab of the song but i just cant make the damn thing sound anything like the song - i mean, it is not recognizable....i dont know if its the delay or what that is throwing me off but i cant even seem to get the rythm or timing of the notes down like the actual song.

should i get a delay pedal or something...am i going to struggle significantly without one??

any help at all? maybe someone could break down the tab a little bit or something - at this point im frustrated again and dont know what to do. i guess i could always walk in cold to a teacher and say 'this song, just freaking teach me this song'. any other alternatives or creative ways you guys could help me (there seems to be a ton of knowledge on here)?!?!

maybe it just keeps coming back to the fact that i just suck!:)

evening!

Tricky song to play, not technically i think. The best advice I can give with this song is you need to feel the song.

What tab are you using? if its totally unrecognizable as you say, this could be where you going hugely wrong.

Other than that, do the obvious like break it down. Dont try and fire it all out in one go. Learn the into famos riff first, then learn the chords part, then the scratching. Its not the easiest, but do-able.

The effects on streets are quite hard to replicate exactly without the use of a SDD3000, but a decent delay will do the job. (I have an A3 which does ok)

For a decent version ive found that something like a delay of 430 - 440ms, an SD-1 on min settings just to give it some body. You can prob ditch the SD-1, just personal preference. You need to use a fairly clean sounds guitar like a strat to.

If you wanna get really into it, then herdim picks will give you that ching

Pero said:
What are herdim picks?

little blue slices of heaven :drool: :drool:

the delay time for Streets is actually around 350 (dotted quarter notes). you 100% need delay in order to get it to sound right. the intro riff is basically a barred D/Dsus chord on the 10th fret played appregio (one note at a time)

Code:
e|10----------------------10-----------------
b|----10--------------10------10-------------
g|--------12--11--12--------------12--11--12-
d|-------------------------------------------
a|-------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------

the rest of the song is basically open chords and a couple of riffs. it's hard on the hands to play but a lot of fun.

thanks for the help so far guys! im actually getting something at least moderately recognizable now - i got a delay pedal and obviously that has made a world of difference. i still seem to be lacking something in the sound department (i suppose not surprising given i am working with simple tools). any suggestions on what i need to add to the delay effect to try and get a similar sound? i dont know if its overdrive, compression, mild distortion, the picks - i just dont seem to get the chingy sound - its too 'clean' if that makes sense

interestingly, discotech, yours is the 3rd different version of tab i have seen for the riff (one in my book and two on here) - they are all basically the same but differ slightly:)

Well for Streets you need the delay, which you have, a Stratocaster guitar for that recognizable tone, and I like to use a Boss SD-1 Distortion pedal on minimal to give the chords a little bit of bite.

Of course it's Edge so you also need loads of compression,.

Check out the program guitar pro, I was very much in your situation a couple years ago. The program essentially plays downloaded tablature and you 'see' how its supposed to sound. It was a huge asset to helping me learn many u2 and more complicated songs.

cheers,
Aaron

aaron,

I have never heard of this guitar pro software before. how does it work (i.e. what advantages does it provide, where do you 'download' the tabs from, how does it take into account effects like delay, etc)?

any additional info you could provide would be great - thanks!

I think the best way to play the streets is just to not get too technical about it...
I try not to refer to tabs and just listen to train my ear..so you also have the ability to pick out different effects
Edge uses which is good and helps you suss out through the heavy delay

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom