For the song-writers here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I like to consider myself a songwriter even though I have never played in front of a lot of people. I hope to very soon...I just need to grow some balls!

Anyway, I have written a couple dozen and theres usually a certain way I go about it.

How do people here go about it uaually?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I'm in a fledgling band and I write all the songs. We've got about 10 solid original songs at the moment. My songwriting technique is pretty straightforward. I usually start with a lyrical idea, maybe just a little bit of a hook, sit down with my guitar, find some chords I like, and go from there. I have to say I always have a tough time coming up with good chorus ideas. But anyway, after I get down the lyirc and chord sturcure I work on the lead guitar work (which I suck at) and call up my bass player and drummer to figure out something. Not overly complicated stuff. Of course, we're young...
wink.gif

Most people have the privelidge of having a band to help them out and give them ideas but, unfortunately, I have to write all my stuff with nobody elses input.

This means when I'm writing I tend to fuse lead and rthym as one.

At the same time I am firmly against traditional chords and songwriting...thats just me.
When all is said and done my songs can tend to be a bit compicated and sometimes its hard to get lyrics over them.

But I have 20 pretty well finished songs...they're useless though cos they never leaving my place.

I need to grow balls and get out there and play at a few clubs! I'm so introverted! arg

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by Dustybot:
Hey, if those 3-chord, so-called "punk rock" bands can do it, any of us can!

That's the spirit!!! but for god sake DON'T START ANOUTHER 'PUNK' BAND!!!!!

------------------
" Can playing a Gibson guitar make you rich and famous? ... how do you define rich and famous? "

-Gibson, pure

Im in a band with some friends. I play bass geetar. We sound halfway between Radiohead and the Virgin Prunes. Usually we all do the somgwriting. Our singer does lyrics, our keyboard player does keyboard stuff, etc.

------------------
I've read you bible, have you read mine?

Basstrap said:
I like to consider myself a songwriter even though I have never played in front of a lot of people. I hope to very soon...I just need to grow some balls!

Well, one of the keys to understand this industry is the distinction between a composer/ songwriter and an artist. So, if you like to consider yourself a songwriter, has nothing to do with your live appearances as an artist. Even though many artists are also songwriters and vice versa, it is an important difference to make.

As a friend of Basstrap, I think you all should know that he is an amazingly talented guitarist. His technical skill is impressive and his creativity is inspiring. That guy knows his guitar so well, that it makes me want to be better at my instrument (drums/piano).

If all goes well, he will be joining me and my bandmates in our quest to take over the world, and I am super stoked.

Love you buddy!

hahah...fancy you being on this board again! since you registered 2 years ago!!
Yeah, anyway, maybe you guys will be hearing of us at some point in the future....:drool:

I also want to go on record for saying that I love the drool monster

In my experience I have found that the best songs I write come from "nowhere" with no planning involved. I try to steer away from saying, "Right now I'm going to sit down and write a song." Instead, I will be "fiddling" around with the guitar for shits and giggles, playing some random covers or some of my own tunes, and something will just spark. I'll find a chord progression or a riff and just start singing whatever flows out. Whatever I am experiencing at that moment, consciously or subconciously, I let out organically. Then I build with structure from there. Once I have that spark, I can formulate something concrete. But for me, that spark is unpredictable, which can be very exciting.

Good Luck
:p

I usually write random lyrical ideas down on paper and then sometime later I'll come up with a progression I like and start piecing together the chicken scratch lyrics with the music.

I attack songwriting from both angles.

When I am playing the guitar or keyboard, I record any chord/riff progressions that I come up with for later use. If I come up with a complete progression for a song, I then either find lyrics that I've written to go with the music, or, more likely, a phrase or word will come to mind that will spark me to write the lyrics.

Sometimes I write an entire set of lyrics with a certain idea of how the song will go, pick a key that seems to fit the song, and put it all together.

It's all a bit of mish-mash really.

Right now I've got writers block, so I just strum my guitar and hope someting will appear. It usually does after a while.

popkidu2 said:
Right now I've got writers block, so I just strum my guitar and hope someting will appear. It usually does after a while.

Hey!! Me Too!!! I used to be able to pump out songs, good ones I might add, maybe 2 a week, but now I can even write shite to save my life. Is it some kind of burn out?? Or just a dry spell??

Ususally when I write I just sit down, move my hand, and then look at what I wrote. I don't think about it too much, I just do it, and it works so well. I have written almost eighty songs now, sometimes I'll do 2-3 a day, some times, 2-3 a month, just depending on when I get time and feel inspired. How about posting some lyrics and replying with some feedback on them?

lyrictician

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom