Fly help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Not a bad cover at all!:up: In fact I'd say you're very close accordingly to the Vertigo tour version! If you want to aim for the studio version I did a cover in which I used a Overdrive with a pretty high amount of gain, into a Phaser, into a Digital Delay w/ Mod at around 425(?) ms, and a Spring Reverb. Just before my M13 I had a wah. This was all coming from my M13.

YouTube - ‪U2 The Fly (With Vox AC4)‬‏

I'm just using my video as an example, not trying to come off as an ass or anything like that.:lol::) If you want settings I could maybe help you but I don't have an ME-25. You're actually doing good in the effects department. I'd say that you really only need to worry about your playing but that's not bad either. Solo I'd say needs some work for that first bit. After a while of playing it like Edge I usually improvise after that. But yeah not bad!

Ok thanks! I am glad that is sounds ok. :) Why would you think your an ass for putting your video here? :lol: :lol:
I am Trying to get the vertigo version. :D

Yep it sounds close to the Vertigo version. And it's just it seems like I'd be taking away from your video by posting mine. So that was just to clarify in case it came off that way to anybody.:D

Guys,

The main issue with both your covers is that you are playing the main riff too literally i.e. just picking the notes on the the 5th and 7th frets of the A string.

Pjbonovox (from these forums I believe) posted a very good video demo'ing how to play it properly (saves me doing one :cute:):

YouTube - ‪U2's The Fly - A quick main riff tutorial‬‏

It's all about the strumming and muting on this one. The other tip I would give is that if you are using a Strat, use the neck pickup - completely different sound from the bridge. Of course, that's for the Zoo and album version - at least one of you guys are going for Vertigo era.

Hope that helps.

Darren

Intro fa-1 parked wah sdd 552ms tc 423 ms
Vertigo tour long delay intro tc 418ms
2nd vearse 425
solo 331ms

"The Fly" guitars. 360 seems to be the 1976 Strat.

He's used different guitar for each of the tours that it's been played.

ZOOTV tour: Fender 'Eric Clapton' Stratocaster (w/Gold Lace Sensor pickups)
ELEVATION tour: Gibson Les Paul Custom.
VERTIGO tour: Line 6 Variax 700 acoustic.
360 tour: Fender Stratocaster (It's either the 1974 or 1976)

Looks like he's using the 1976. It's the Strat with the brass saddles. Not 100% but it seems that one is the 1976

YouTube - ‪U2 - The Fly Live Glastonbury 2011 (HD)‬‏

EdgeGlastonburyFestival2011DayTwouTx5dEhqoXEl.jpg

EdgeGlastonburyFestival2011DayTwoSJNAagUm7lLl.jpg

EdgeGlastonburyFestival2011DayTwodYEpI21zj1El.jpg

EdgeGlastonburyFestival2011DayTwo0QQwTpTZx1il.jpg

Yes sorry. Confussion xD

So many guitars! Hard to keep track. I've seen the same guitar be called a different vintage in different interviews. So I think that Edge and Dallas might get mixed up a bit too.

For them, it isn't so much a 1974 is better than a 1976 or whatever. They probably just feel that 'that one' sounds better on this song and that one over there, better on that song.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom