Finding it tough to get the Delay Settings spot on (or close to)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GTS6

The Fly
So i bought the TC Nova System, i can adjust the Delay Timing like 360ms etc, and also adjust the delay in terms of 1/8. or 1/16 and so on. I can also adjust the ammount of Feedback, Mix, LowCut HighCut. And to be honest, its all a bit confusing.
I've tried the Amnesta Study of The Edge's Delay, and it confuses me more, and i know its barely accurate.
Is there anyway someone could post up easy methods of getting some specific Delay timings Edge himself would use?
Thanks

I'm guessing you know what all the knobs mean?

Delay Time is well, that's how long the time is between each repeat.
Feedback is how many times the delay will repeat.
Mix is generally how loud the delay is/how much of the effect is used.
LowCut is probably how much of the low end or bass is in your signal.
HighCut is probably the treble.

I'm just posting in case you don't know. All you said is you were confused so I'm not sure exactly what you are having trouble with. With the Nova System does it show you exactly what delay time you're at? I'll post some delay times/settings for some of the songs I play.

The Fly: 425 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at around the 1 o' clock position
Until the End of the World: 419 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at 10 o' clock position
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: 440 ms / 2-3 repeats / Mix at 10 o' clock position
Breathe: 318 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at around 9 or 10 o' clock position
New Year's Day: pretty similar to Still Haven't Found. 440 ms

If you have any requests let me know. Any troubles with that delay pedal also let me know. I can help, I just need some specifics. ;)

I'm guessing you know what all the knobs mean?

Delay Time is well, that's how long the time is between each repeat.
Feedback is how many times the delay will repeat.
Mix is generally how loud the delay is/how much of the effect is used.
LowCut is probably how much of the low end or bass is in your signal.
HighCut is probably the treble.

I'm just posting in case you don't know. All you said is you were confused so I'm not sure exactly what you are having trouble with. With the Nova System does it show you exactly what delay time you're at? I'll post some delay times/settings for some of the songs I play.

The Fly: 425 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at around the 1 o' clock position
Until the End of the World: 419 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at 10 o' clock position
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: 440 ms / 2-3 repeats / Mix at 10 o' clock position
Breathe: 318 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at around 9 or 10 o' clock position
New Year's Day: pretty similar to Still Haven't Found. 440 ms

If you have any requests let me know. Any troubles with that delay pedal also let me know. I can help, I just need some specifics. ;)

Ahhh this stuff is great! Thanks very much! :) Yeah it shows the Delay Timing such as 432ms and also the Tempo such as 1/8D. I understand it a lot more now, i really appreciate it!
The only thing is you stated:
"Breathe: 318 ms / 3-4 repeats / Mix at around 9 or 10 o' clock position"
When you say "Repeats" i understand your talking "Feedback"? How would i be able to read that in Percentage? Because the Nova System reads the Feeback in a Percentage.
Thanks
Glenn

Glad to help. :) And yes "Repeats" is "Feedback". I got really confused about it too until someone explained it to me better. Oh also did your TC Nova come with a manuel? If so the manuel may help you, if you don't understand something I can explain it. And as for reading the Feedback in a percentage I'll help you. Only I don't know in what percentage the TC reads so I'll need to know that but once I do I should be able to explain the whole percentage thing.

I wish I owned a TC, it would make things easier to explain.:lol: I've read that they sound really good.

Well i have the manual, but its only 40 or so pages, and tells you the basics of the Delay, but this alone has taught me a lot so far. Its a great system, sounds really great! I've played on Boss GT's and Line 6 Pods, and this by far has the richest tone, complex at first to start up, but im getting to grips with things now.
The only problem is the Feedback/Repeats, if i play about with it, i can get a rough value, that matches up to the songs, but its all guess work.
Do you have any more Delay Settings? Maybe you could email or PM them to me? Just any U2 song in general would be awsome:)
Thanks! :D
Glenn

That's good to hear that it sounds great. I know that a guitar shop nearby has some and you can even test one of the floor models there too. I need to do that. I've found that the more you mess around with a pedal the better you may get to know it. And with feedback I usually tweak it to taste. I'd say the standard feedback for Edge is 3-4 repeats, and I usually use that as I find it sounds good. Although for some songs he has more feedback set. I'd also be glad to share some settings. I don't know every song but what I do have I'll share. I'll PM you right away!:D

Can someone share with me settings on the Korg SDD-2000 for u2 songs, please. Much oblighed.

theedgeu2!
Ah thanks so much man! If you worked these out yourself, they're superb! Sorry for the late reply, i'm actually only getting round to looking at these now, i have had so many assignments lately, keeping on top of them is a challenge!
I'll work my way through these settings, and let you know how i get on!
Cheers!!
Also, checked out some of your recordings there, some great material!

Back
Top Bottom