Explorer - recommended copies or cheap alternatives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I saw a black Gibson Explorer second hand the other day, for £350. I stood for about 5 minutes weighing up, if I sold all my other guitars could I afford it? :lol:

So, although £350 is probably cheap for a gibson, what are the cheap alternatives?

I know there are Epiphones, but they arnt exactly cost-effective either.

Thoughts?

At that price it almost certainly wasn't a real Gibson. It was most probably an Epiphone (their Gibson replicas usually have the Gibson logo somewhere on the headstock), or (less likely) an out-and-out fake. If it is a real Gibson, and assuming it's not falling apart, you should sell your granny to find the money if necessary, because it's a steal at that price.

I don't recall seeing a good quality copy of the Explorer that is less expensive than an Epi so I suspect your options are fairly limited. However virtually all the Epi's I have played over the years have been good quality instruments and IMO are good value for money.

Oh, a few weeks ago Guitar Centers across the US were unloading their Gibson Explorers --yes Gibson, not Epiphone -- for $324. They didn't advertise it, and it wasn't on their website, but if you went in-store they were doing it. I'm not an explorer fan, but if I had had the money at the time I would've bought one.

At that price it almost certainly wasn't a real Gibson. It was most probably an Epiphone (their Gibson replicas usually have the Gibson logo somewhere on the headstock), or (less likely) an out-and-out fake. If it is a real Gibson, and assuming it's not falling apart, you should sell your granny to find the money if necessary, because it's a steal at that price.

I don't recall seeing a good quality copy of the Explorer that is less expensive than an Epi so I suspect your options are fairly limited. However virtually all the Epi's I have played over the years have been good quality instruments and IMO are good value for money.

Well the headstock was like this one

http://www.ghx-online.de/guitars/Explorer_wr.jpg

But the pickups seemed to be non original, one was a seymour duncan, and the other didnt seem to have a name. They were black/cream humbuckers. Could that have altered the value?

Oh, a few weeks ago Guitar Centers across the US were unloading their Gibson Explorers --yes Gibson, not Epiphone -- for $324. They didn't advertise it, and it wasn't on their website, but if you went in-store they were doing it. I'm not an explorer fan, but if I had had the money at the time I would've bought one.

Damn. If only I had lived in America, I'd have bought one on the spot. :grumpy:

Doubtful that it was a Gibson, vs Epiphone for that amount.

Epi's look pretty close to the Gibson Explorer... they are 'one but not the same'. =O)

Feast your eyes.

It seems that GC was quietly blowing those out all over the country.

Gibson Faded Explorer is low quality. Horrible guitar. Horrible pickups. Epi Explorers are better sounding and better made.

The Gibson faded were being blown out as they were discontinued because almost no one wanted them as they are not so great. The guy in the earlier link even said something about being good for 'thrash'.

One could probably upgrade the p'ups and pots and it would be better.

It may be poor quality, but damn, its pretty. :drool:

I have this problem with all guitars, I couldnt care less when Im looking at them, all that matters are the colours and the shiney shiney knobs. :lol: Im such a woman sometimes.

Back in the 90's when the metal band I was in split up I bought a black Gibson Explorer from the singer for 2000 guilders, about €900. With a matching Gibson suitcase. It still needs a decent white pickguard though as the idiot painted it black. And a new tip for the toggle switch. And I'd love to install a couple of Seth Lovers pups in it.

Other then that, a great guitar. To play heavy metal.

Back
Top Bottom