Explorer - recommended copies or cheap alternatives? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 07:46 PM
Explorer - recommended copies or cheap alternatives?

I saw a black Gibson Explorer second hand the other day, for £350. I stood for about 5 minutes weighing up, if I sold all my other guitars could I afford it?

So, although £350 is probably cheap for a gibson, what are the cheap alternatives?

I know there are Epiphones, but they arnt exactly cost-effective either.

Thoughts?
__________________

MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
War Child
 
Chill Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 788
Local Time: 02:46 PM
There are some relatively cheap Epiphones on ebay.
__________________

Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 90
Local Time: 06:46 PM
Most are fake though.
ThierryHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Epiphone explorers are decently prized, but geez! A Gibson Explorer for only 350 pound?
THAT IS CHEAP!
THey're usually around 1000 euros!

http://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/NLG/...GIT0000752-001


http://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/NLG/...GIT0000752-004
Damn, that's Edges.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 282
Local Time: 06:46 PM
At that price it almost certainly wasn't a real Gibson. It was most probably an Epiphone (their Gibson replicas usually have the Gibson logo somewhere on the headstock), or (less likely) an out-and-out fake. If it is a real Gibson, and assuming it's not falling apart, you should sell your granny to find the money if necessary, because it's a steal at that price.

I don't recall seeing a good quality copy of the Explorer that is less expensive than an Epi so I suspect your options are fairly limited. However virtually all the Epi's I have played over the years have been good quality instruments and IMO are good value for money.
gragravar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
War Child
 
Chill Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 788
Local Time: 02:46 PM
Oh, a few weeks ago Guitar Centers across the US were unloading their Gibson Explorers --yes Gibson, not Epiphone -- for $324. They didn't advertise it, and it wasn't on their website, but if you went in-store they were doing it. I'm not an explorer fan, but if I had had the money at the time I would've bought one.
Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gragravar View Post
At that price it almost certainly wasn't a real Gibson. It was most probably an Epiphone (their Gibson replicas usually have the Gibson logo somewhere on the headstock), or (less likely) an out-and-out fake. If it is a real Gibson, and assuming it's not falling apart, you should sell your granny to find the money if necessary, because it's a steal at that price.

I don't recall seeing a good quality copy of the Explorer that is less expensive than an Epi so I suspect your options are fairly limited. However virtually all the Epi's I have played over the years have been good quality instruments and IMO are good value for money.
Well the headstock was like this one

http://www.ghx-online.de/guitars/Explorer_wr.jpg

But the pickups seemed to be non original, one was a seymour duncan, and the other didnt seem to have a name. They were black/cream humbuckers. Could that have altered the value?
MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Mike D View Post
Oh, a few weeks ago Guitar Centers across the US were unloading their Gibson Explorers --yes Gibson, not Epiphone -- for $324. They didn't advertise it, and it wasn't on their website, but if you went in-store they were doing it. I'm not an explorer fan, but if I had had the money at the time I would've bought one.
Damn. If only I had lived in America, I'd have bought one on the spot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 282
Local Time: 06:46 PM
What a bargain!
gragravar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Mike D View Post
Oh, a few weeks ago Guitar Centers across the US were unloading their Gibson Explorers --yes Gibson, not Epiphone -- for $324. They didn't advertise it, and it wasn't on their website, but if you went in-store they were doing it. I'm not an explorer fan, but if I had had the money at the time I would've bought one.
Doubtful that it was a Gibson, vs Epiphone for that amount.

Epi's look pretty close to the Gibson Explorer... they are 'one but not the same'. =O)
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
War Child
 
Chill Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 788
Local Time: 02:46 PM
Feast your eyes.

It seems that GC was quietly blowing those out all over the country.
Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Mike D View Post
Feast your eyes.

It seems that GC was quietly blowing those out all over the country.
Gibson Faded Explorer is low quality. Horrible guitar. Horrible pickups. Epi Explorers are better sounding and better made.

The Gibson faded were being blown out as they were discontinued because almost no one wanted them as they are not so great. The guy in the earlier link even said something about being good for 'thrash'.

One could probably upgrade the p'ups and pots and it would be better.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 07:46 PM
It may be poor quality, but damn, its pretty.


I have this problem with all guitars, I couldnt care less when Im looking at them, all that matters are the colours and the shiney shiney knobs. Im such a woman sometimes.
MooMoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo! View Post
It may be poor quality, but damn, its pretty.
*seconds that*

If I were rich, I'd prolly get an entire room filled with guitars in the nicest colours available, just for the look of them!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo! View Post
It may be poor quality, but damn, its pretty.


I have this problem with all guitars, I couldnt care less when Im looking at them, all that matters are the colours and the shiney shiney knobs. Im such a woman sometimes.
Hahahahahaaa.... okay, okay.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Refugee
 
Muad'zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Posts: 1,381
Local Time: 06:46 PM
Back in the 90's when the metal band I was in split up I bought a black Gibson Explorer from the singer for 2000 guilders, about €900. With a matching Gibson suitcase. It still needs a decent white pickguard though as the idiot painted it black. And a new tip for the toggle switch. And I'd love to install a couple of Seth Lovers pups in it.

Other then that, a great guitar. To play heavy metal.
__________________

Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×