effects on 'please' live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtungjulie

The Fly
as a disclaimer, i'm the worst guitarist in the world... so please don't laugh at my question.

i am listening to 'please' live from mexico city, and i was wondering if anyone knows what the effect that edge is using about 3:20 into the song is (during his little solo bit). i can hear two different sounds, and i'm talking about the effect that sounds sort of similar to the one he uses for 'mysterious ways' lately live... i don't know - it might be a completely stupid question, but i'm just curious. thank you.

Not a silly question at all. That's a Lovetone Meatball pedal on Please. It's like an auto wah filter. I just use a wah pedal as the Lovetone's are quite expensive. Mysterious Ways is the Korg A3. Some sort of flange/auto wah chain.

You know...I don't mean to hijack this thread... actually let me contribute something useful first:
If you want to play Please/Mysterious Ways without pumping the pedal the whole time, there are multi-effects pedals with very good auto-wah functions, I wouldn't recommend buying an auto-wah standalone if you're a beginning guitarist.

But anyway... does anyone know what has made Edge's Mysterious Ways guitar sound so weak on this tour? On the Chicago DVD it just sounds wimpy, compared to...oh...everything that came before it.

hey - thank you for your input. :) i'll look at the different options because my skills are not anywhere close to being edge-like.

about what you said - i'm not sure why his guitar sounds that way, but in general, i think the chicago dvd makes the band sound horrible. all of them. i don't know if it's the way it was recorded or what, but when i saw them on this tour, it sounded nothing like that.

I had noticed that too, tommy and not only for Mysterious Ways. Someone suggested it was because he's using more digital effects like the DM4. Im not sure, but it definitely lacks something that the Elevation rig had

I think the Chicago dvd in itself sounds like crap sonically. The levels arent constant, the bass sounds aweful.Compared to the slane castle dvd, this one sounds like total trash.

I think a Crybaby wah-pedal is a great investment for a new guitarist. It will let you get some nice dynamics that are pretty different and is a relatively cheap buy (~$80).

If you are serious about learning to play guitar and want to get good sound I highly recommend getting a multi-effects unit like someone mentioned previously. It will save you a lot of money in the long run and give excellent variety. I would recommend an older BOSS model like the GT-5 or GT-6 (~$250-300) if you want to splurge.

I also strongly recommend against buying individual pedals other than a wah-pedal. As far as I'm concerned, there are a completely outdated technology.

DanZigs said:
I would recommend an older BOSS model like the GT-5 or GT-6 (~$250-300) if you want to splurge.

As the proud owner of a GT-6, I agree wholeheartedly. They're magic.

T

(tho if anyone has figured out how to make the whammy pedal setting work right, they'd be my hero)

Back
Top Bottom