Effects for Streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrMusk

The Fly
Does anyone know what effects the edge uses for streets on the guitar - and of any cheap petals etc that I can get to produce the sound?

compression? I don't believe I have ever seen one....which kind is good? and how much do they usually run....i have a delay

Hi,

It is difficult to reproduce Edge's exact sound on Streets. I have tried over and over again as I love playing this song on the old Strat.

I have been told that most of the sound is the pure Vox AC30 with delay, but I just use slight distortion as too much will "muddy-up" the picked 6/8 notes at the beginning and end of the song.

The "City's a flood" verse uses a heavier distorted version of the original sound used for the intro etc but to swap between the two your effects unit needs to swap between patches without a break in the signal.

To get that choppy sound when Edge strums the muted strings as in the first two verses use a high level of compression. I have been told that the MXR Dynacomp compressor pedal is the one to use for this.

As for the delay, set it to 350ms for Zoo TV versions of the song and 370ms for the Elevation tour version as they did slow it down slightly for this tour. Set the feedback so the original signal 'echoes' about 4 times with the first 'echo' set as strong as the original.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps a little.

DrMusk,

One thing I forgot to inform you on is the vital importance of the pick that you use.

To get that Edge sound, the 'twang' to the picked notes that is well known in the Edge sound, you have to use either the blue Herdim picks that the man himself uses or the Dunlop Tortex Fins picks that have the bumps on one side. These are the ones that I use (the .73mm picks, yellow in colour) and are more widely available than the Herdims.

Use the 'bumpy' side to strike the strings with an effect setting that has only slight distortion and you will get some way to creating that signature Edge sound especially in songs like Streets. Also try playing songs like I Still Haven't Found and Van Diemen's Land and you will see what I mean.

I don't know if you are already aware of this. If you are then tell me to shut up but if not then get shopping for those picks as these will give you the sound that you are looking for.

All the best Matey,

Greenbax. Loadsa ?+$= :-<

Hmmm this thread is very interesting. Greenbax, if you would answer me this please...

I have the Zoom 707II multi-effects pedal, some of the features of which I'm not 100% sure how to use. Can I use this pedal to set a delay (for example the 370ms you mentioned), or do I need just an echo pedal for that? Oh and could also explain what "ms" stands for and how echo is used, counted, delayed etc. I'm a bit foggy on that area.

Thanks a lot!

JTH

yeah the multi-effects processor that I have - it's a Tone Works pedal - has an "Edge" preset - it works good for most U2 songs - but most definitely doesn't work for Streets.

Hi,

I am by no means an expert on the subject but the way I understand and use the delay works very well indeed.

I have never used the Zoom system so am not familiar with it but reading user reviews there is a full delay effect built into the unit with the edit facility needed to alter the settings, so you don't really need a seperate pedal. I use the Digitech RP6, a basic unit but it'll do for now. Your unit should have very similar basic settings.

Firstly, there is the TYPE of delay - mono, stereo, multi-tap etc. The tap delay is simply set by 'tapping' the relevent button or pedal to set the tempo of the delay you require. I've read that Edge uses the mono delay, so that's what I use.

Second, is the LEVEL of the delay. This figure sets the strength or fullness of the delayed signal. The higher the setting, the more strength the 'echo' has. On the RP6 this ranges from 0 to 100, so a setting of 100 will produce a delay as strong as the original signal, 50, half as strong etc.

Thirdly, is the TIME. This is where 'ms' or milliseconds comes in and is the time between the note played and the subsequent echoes. The lower the figure, the faster the resultant delay. My unit ranges from 0 to 800ms. I think that 500ms is half a second.
If you listen to some of U2's live tracks you can hear Edge do a signal check just before the song starts, especially before Pride on the Elevation tour. This is where he hits the muted strings once and the delay is clearly audible. There are a number of 'ms' timings that can be used for any given tempo but to play the song properly the exact right one has to be chosen and your playing timing has to be impeccable.

Lastly, is the FEEDBACK setting. This is the amount of delay produced from the original signal. The higher the figure, the longer the delay will 'echo' for. The RP6 ranges from 0 to 99 and a setting of 99 will give an infinite delay. For instance, set the LEVEL to 100 and the FEEDBACK to 99 and the delay will be as strong and loud as the note you picked and will 'echo' constantly.. Conversely, if I set the LEVEL to 50 and the FEEDBACK to 0, the note will 'echo' half the strength of the original and repeat onlt once. At higher feedback settings, each subsequent delay will tail off or get quieter towards the last 'echo'.

For an example, my settings for Streets are:

TYPE - Mono
LEVEL - 95 as I require a strong delay.
TIME - 370ms Elevation tour version.
FEEDBACK - 35 I only want about 4 discernible echoes
otherwise the notes become mixed and
muddy.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For:

TYPE - Mono
LEVEL - 95 this also requires a strong 'echo' for the
picked notes to sound effectively.
TIME - 440ms
FEEDBACK - 35 again, not too many 'echoes' or it'll
sound muddled.

As I said I'm no expert but I hope this helps you a little.

Don't forget the points regarding a low level of distortion and especially about the type of pick you use.

Happy playing,

PEACE!

All the best, Daz.

Last edited:
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man - yeah thats like perfect....but i actually have found that using my Korg Tone Works processor and my Danelectro Dan Eco petal - i have created a very good simulation of the effect for streets

Actually along with a Dyna COmp you really need the Korg SDD-3000 Digital Delay because it has input attenuation to give slight breakup and also has a modulation section to add some slight pitch change and liquidity to the delayed sounds. I have 2 of these units in my Bradshaw built switching rig and while they are about $800-$1000 each and very hard to find, they are the exact units used by Edge on the studio and live versions of the songs. In fact, Edge has 4 of them in his rack as of the Elevation Tour.

all you need is a modeling amp to get a good ac30 tone. don't use alot of lows mostly mids and highs the ac30 should have a top boost sound to kind of give it that over drive sound. the next is a digital delay, i use a yamaha d1500 digital delay edge used this delay on his piano and keyboard. they sound great. you need a delay time of 349 for the recorded version and a delay time of 352 for all of the later tours. the most important ..............the fender stratocaster or a squire strat will work fine. and if you really want that chimey sound you need to buy some herdim picks.

He uses a tc2290 it has a delay and compression, for the guitars the tone is all up to 10 and the vox that he uses helps because it has a clear sound to it..:)

tempo of music must be locked--click
rythem section on guitar locked in sync to click
delay times around 360.milliseconds to 385 milliseconds depends on what tempo click is set

off memmory tc 2290 j.tree version 375 milliseconds
i have a 2290 and it locked in around there studio version
also direct signal dry but first repeat modulated to a sine wave set around 1 out of 10--speed of modulation is low for a slight wave-shift to sound...only on delay signal direct signal dry..
the 2290 seperates the signal to two lines, direct and delay..
edge plays in stereo but mic feeds panned in middle with reverb panned left right stereo delay lines modulated for warmer sound

2290 is easy to produce u2 sound
its pre amps boost signal like no others
your talking max headroom on signal
each note is double in feel
easy to distinguish in fast rythym stuff
also a tap tempo button to push in time to bass drum or snare or hi hats for correct tempo of delay --locks in every time
takes guess work out of delay times

i have learned that drum beats dictate delay times
tempo must lock with delay times
2290 allows you to tap tempo to a button called LEARN
it then gives you correct delay time
next is the art of attack on strings- a very locked flicker rythem strum in tempo to beat ---you should hear streets

Attachments

• image_00050.jpg
    image_00050.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
tpsglick2424 said:
He uses a tc2290 it has a delay and compression, for the guitars the tone is all up to 10 and the vox that he uses helps because it has a clear sound to it..:)

No compression on the TC 2290. It is a delay unit that can do chorus, flanging and tremolo but no compression.

There is a good chance that the signal is running through one of the SDD3000 just for the preamp. That it where the tone get its warmth.

Streets delay

Hi. I've been using my Line 6 POD XT Live to reproduce a pretty decent version of the live Streets sound.

The key to this tone is the Stereo Delay settings. The delay settings are adjusted for the Joshua Tree version. To play along with the Rattle & Hum version, decreased the delay time to 523 ms.

Here are my settings:
Class A-30 TB, Class A cab
Drive 46%, Bass 28%, Mid 73%, Treble 86%, Presence 0%

Room 21%, Condenser Mic

Compression: Thresh -19 dB, Gain 1 dB

Stereo delay: Time 531 ms, Offset 67%, FBK L 9%, FBK R 35%, Mix 45%

Lux Reverb: Dwell 50%, Tone 50%, Mix 32%

Its tc 2290 set to 365ms with about 4 repeats 70s strat and his main anthems amps the ac30 with u2 in white on the side.Herdim upside of course

Back
Top Bottom