Effect for Exit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ufboy73

The Fly
Guys,

I wonder if anyone had any idea what set-up might lead to a sound as displayed on the R&H version of Exit. Im thinking mostly of the solo - it has an almost overdriven, 'glassy'/'wet' type sound - if that makes any sense.

What effects would give something like this? Am i right in thinking the tone of that particular song is being driven a lot by the les paul and tube amp?

thanks

sd-1

in joshua tree tour the edge used a sd-1 boss pedal for overdrive. i have one of those and i like it.

LIVE:
I don't think that The Edge used the Boss SD-1 until a the Zoo tours. Per the Rattle and Hum book, he was using a Boss OD-2. Boss the SD-1 and OD-2 are great overdrive pedals, in my opinion. I own both and love them.

I do think that he had the Electro-Harmonix "Big Muff" during The Joshua Tree tour. (I don't own one of these)
STUDIO:
The 'distortion' might also be partly from the Bond Electraglide, that Edge used on "One Tree Hill".

From GUITAR WORLD JULY 1987:

"I'm interested in abusing technology," he chuckles. "There's a revolutionary new guitar called Bond Electric Light (Electraglide), which is a very finely-crafted guitar without proper frets. Instead it has little serations. I tried to incorporate it into my playing armory and I found that it wasn't working, until I discovered the things you can do if you really sort of abuse it! I got fantastic results. Like the sort of heavy fuzz guitar at the end of "One Tree Hill", and the last three tracks on the middle of side two - that sound is the Bond. It's and English guitar. I don't know if they are made anymore [GW Editors note: They're not], but I got it three or four years ago [dating the guitar to around 1983/84]. Naturally, with us, we try to approach anything without preconceptions, we just control the room withouth the windows. Now, this Bond guitar, it wasn't meant to do what I do to it. Its neck is some kind of plastic, so it's more flexible than most wooden necks. I discovered that I can bend the neck so that the strings started to vibrate on the fretboard as I played, and - the guitar having no true frets - it created a different kind of effect. It was an attempt to sound obnoxious. You know, you can wind up a Marshall, and it starts to sound better the higher you go. Well, this was a transistor amp and the sound was compressed to the hilt. I had it very loud and it just kind of had that edge of a sound that you normally don't get. People complained bitterly about it!"

a.jpg

e.jpg

is there a very short delay in that song - in addition to the distortion/overdrive?

Back
Top Bottom