Edge's Live Tunings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratedge09

Babyface
ok i know on most of the new album with the exception of city of blinding lights and love and peace(maybe) everything is in standard.........but what about classic songs

~Where the Streets Have No Name....ive heard it played a half step down on live in boston dvd and popmart vhs.........but it sounds in standard on Vertigo dvd and when i saw them live

~Pride..........same thing with streets because adam doesnt change basses on elevation and vertigo dvds and it would be the same tuning as Streets

~Beautiful Day and Elevation are in standard i believe along with miracle drug and most of HTDAAB but can someone clarify?

basically can someone tell me what songs are in standard and what are a half step down because im starting a band and would like to know and we're obviously going to play lots of U2

Plains......its by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.......well can u please give a listing of a couple songs.......maybe a whole Vertigo tour setlist? i would appreciate it

s- standard tuning
h- half step down
f- full step down

cobl- h
vertigo- s
elevation- s
electric co - h
ISHFWILF- h
MD- s
OOTS- s
SYCMIOYO -s
LAPOE - (open D tuning)
SBS- f
bullet - h
rtss - h
pride- f
streets - s
one - h

zoo station - h
the fly - h
WOWY - h

ABOY - s
yahweh - s?
40 - s

hey what is the different between half and full step down? I think that half is bemol. it´snt it?

ok thanks for the abbreviations but i dont know half the songs names u put up there.......plus i know for a fact sunday bloody sunday is only a half step down.......i dont think he plays any songs a full step down......also in the edition of guitar world with the edge pride is tabbed out standard and also in my U2 songbook its standard........thanks anyway

stratedge09 said:
plus i know for a fact sunday bloody sunday is only a half step down

yeah for the studio and rattle & hum, but this tour it is a whole step down. elevation tour it 1 1/2 steps down! (i think)

then answer this one.......for love and peace adam uses a lakland darryl jones bass........and he doesnt change it from that song to sunday bloody sunday on the chicago dvd......so my thoughts are its still a half step down

well because there arent really chords on bass, you dont really need to switch tuning on bass.

believe me, i play along to the DVD, IT's A WHOLE STEP DOWN!

its in Am, thats a Whole step down from standard tuning, as opposed to A#m or Bbm, which are a 1/2 step down.

pop in the DVD and play an A#m which is 1/2, you'll find it's too high.

Last edited:
I dont think One is half step down anymore

Unless Mary/U2 new album cut is half step down already its the same as the One being played live..

so not saying definitively - havent compared the AB One with TB One

SBS and Pride are now played a full step down-- Adam has "transposed" them so he can keep his bass in standard tuning, while Edge is using a different guitar tuned down (so he still can play open chords). Watch the actual frets Adam is playing versus the chords Edge is playing. I believe both songs are standard tuning on their original albums, possibly half-step down I suppose

One has always been a half-step down, even on the album.

Long said:
SBS and Pride are now played a full step down-- Adam has "transposed" them so he can keep his bass in standard tuning, while Edge is using a different guitar tuned down (so he still can play open chords). Watch the actual frets Adam is playing versus the chords Edge is playing. I believe both songs are standard tuning on their original albums, possibly half-step down I suppose

One has always been a half-step down, even on the album.

and i think SBS was actually 2 whole steps down during the Elevation Tour because Bono was still having throat problems.

when listening to Elevation and Vertigo bootlegs, you can just tell the difference of the quality of Bono's voice, and he seems to really carry the music with him.

mikal said:

and i think SBS was actually 2 whole steps down during the Elevation Tour because Bono was still having throat problems.

when listening to Elevation and Vertigo bootlegs, you can just tell the difference of the quality of Bono's voice, and he seems to really carry the music with him.

You might be right. . . at least 1-1/2 steps down. I watched Slane last night after only listening to Vertigo tour versions for quite a while, and it sounded lower. I didn't have a guitar next to me to check it . . .

1-1/2 makes sense, that way Adam could just use a bass tuned 1/2 step down to play his new transposed version. Or maybe he had a bass setup just for that one song, I don't really remember right now.

Pride may have also been 1-1/2 steps down on Elevation, because Adam played it on his old old P-bass, which was tuned half-step down and played through the entire encore (Bullet through Walk On)

stratedge09 said:
then answer this one.......for love and peace adam uses a lakland darryl jones bass........and he doesnt change it from that song to sunday bloody sunday on the chicago dvd......so my thoughts are its still a half step down

Why ask the question if you're going to argue with everything said? Figuring out what tuning they're using is relatively easy. Play the riff, if it sounds sharp, move down a fret, still sharp, move down another fret. Obviously you can't play chords in the first position to try this out.

Back
Top Bottom