Edge's Les Paul Customs Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ufboy73

The Fly
So, I happened to be watching my Zoo TV DVD last night after a long lay off (man, they were on fire then)...

Anyway, i was shocked by how yellow Edge's LPC looked.

I know that he auctioned the 1975 #2 - in pics, it look aged white but much more of a cream color and not really yellow.

I also know he has at least 2 LPC's now (the 1973 and the replica of the auctioned guitar).

My questions:

- Does anyone know if the Zoo TV LPC is the auctioned guitar (I believe it is from the distinctive holes in the tailpiece stud area)

- Anyone who has seen the auctioned guitar in person...is it really as yellow as appears in the Zoo TV DVD or is it more cream like in all of the pictures currently on the web

- Does he currently have more than the 2 LPC's i noted above and/or does he currently have a much more yellowed LPC

Really specific questions i know but my curiosity has been aroused and guys on here know all!!!:)

thanks!

Anyway, i was shocked by how yellow Edge's LPC looked.
- The white yellows over time due to the paint process. The nitrocellulose (or something like that). Similarly, Pelham Blue will turn more aqua green.

I know that he auctioned the 1975 #2 - in pics, it look aged white but much more of a cream color and not really yellow.
- I know that even the auction called it the 1975 but Dallas told me that the 1973 was the auctioned guitar. As for the yellowing... it can look... the hue of yellow could look a bit different in different pictures due to lighting.

I also know he has at least 2 LPC's now (the 1973 and the replica of the auctioned guitar).
- Seems to be at least the clone and perhaps the second of the older LPC's

My questions:

Does anyone know if the Zoo TV LPC is the auctioned guitar (I believe it is from the distinctive holes in the tailpiece stud area)

- Would have to see the picture you are speaking of. Or know what song on the DVD. The LP's had difference. One had gold knobs and one had black. It has often been speculated that the 1975 had the gold and the 1973 had the black knobs.

Now, if the auctioned guitar was the 1973 (and if that guitar had at one point had black knobs) - the knobs might have been changed out at some point.

Anyone who has seen the auctioned guitar in person...is it really as yellow as appears in the Zoo TV DVD or is it more cream like in all of the pictures currently on the web
- I have seen the guitar up close. Judge for yourself. Here's some picures:

6-1-2008-26-c.jpg

6-1-2008-25-b.jpg

6-1-2008-24-b.jpg

6-1-2008-21-b.jpg

6-1-2008-16-b.jpg

6-1-2008-13-b.jpg

6-1-2008-11-d.jpg

Does he currently have more than the 2 LPC's i noted above and/or does he currently have a much more yellowed LPC

- The only one I've seen used on the U2:360 tour has been the cloned LPC. As he tends to have backups and in some cases more (Last count I heard was 12 1976 Explorers)... He might have other early to mid-`70's LPC's but again... seems only the cloned is being used.

That said, if you look at video from the recent European leg... with "Unknown Caller" out of the set, the LPC was only used for one song per show: "Walk On" with the (2) Music Rising and the Goldtop getting the other Les Paul spots.

wow - thanks a lot for the great info and the close up shots!!

check out songs like new years day, dirty day, and zoo station from the Zoo TV DVD - it looks A LOT more yellow than any other pics i have seen of what i assume to be the same guitar.

i know lighting can make a huge difference but the Zoo concert one looks more like this:

Gibson Custom Shop Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom VOS, Randy Rhoads White

in all the pics ive seen though (including yours above) it does not look as yellow as the linked picture - what about in person? that yellow??

It's the lighting - or the treatment done to the DVD or perhaps both - even Bono is yellow on that DVD. ;)

Look at this video, the colors aren't as processed as with the Sydney DVD

YouTube - U2 Zoo Station

I had photo passes for the first three songs during U2's first of two Zooropa '93 shows in Glasgow - I was in the photo pit, just a few feet from Edge, and his Les Paul for Zoo Station was definitely aged-white (cream) rather than the strong yellow appearance of the DVD. Bizarre how your memory retains those things when you're so into those things.

It's the lighting - or the treatment done to the DVD or perhaps both - even Bono is yellow on that DVD. ;)

Look at this video, the colors aren't as processed as with the Sydney DVD

YouTube - U2 Zoo Station

I had photo passes for the first three songs during U2's first of two Zooropa '93 shows in Glasgow - I was in the photo pit, just a few feet from Edge, and his Les Paul for Zoo Station was definitely aged-white (cream) rather than the strong yellow appearance of the DVD. Bizarre how your memory retains those things when you're so into those things.

The guitar in the video does appear to be the auctioned LP Custom that is in the pictures that I took.

The guitar has turned a bit yellow. Cream might be a misnomer. Not that the name is that important. Gibson and Fender white finishes discolor with age. This happens to some other finishes, as I'd previously mentioned.

I've heard of guys baking guitars and such to get that look. That is so weird to me. I say: Just let it happen naturally.

Yeah, I wrote "aged-white", which is a process for giving an aged look to new equipment (such as used on the Fender Roadworn series, as an example) but I meant natural yellowing due to age - I was just trying to describe that the guitar in the video (1992) which I posted and saw close up in 1993 was the "creamy" colored Les Paul rather than a strong yellow that ufboy73 pointed out in the Sydney DVD. I think that comes across in the context of what I wrote. Wasn't suggesting that it was a stock cream colored Les Paul or artificially aged. But, fair point.

I have an LP copy in white (richwood artist series / lawsuit)
Got it 4 years ago, I guess after 2 years it already was 'yellow'. It's in my guitar stand all the time, and where it holds the neck at the back, it's still white. No light could reach that spot I guess.

Gibson finishes their guitars in nitrocellulose lacquer. All nitrocellulose lacquer yellows over time (Gibson calls it "Ambering" rofl). How long it takes depends on how much light its exposed to. Some people find this desirable. Others find it annoying.

Location of Edge’s 1975 LP Custom

Guitar Center Hollywood was recently refurbished and reopened.

Edge’s Les Paul Custom (along with lots of other celeb guitars) is hanging in a case in the reopened GC Hollywood.

Guitar Center Hollywood was recently refurbished and reopened.

Edge’s Les Paul Custom (along with lots of other celeb guitars) is hanging in a case in the reopened GC Hollywood.
I might have to pay it a visit... wonder if it's still there. Planning on passing thru LA in December.

wow - thanks a lot for the great info and the close up shots!!

check out songs like new years day, dirty day, and zoo station from the Zoo TV DVD - it looks A LOT more yellow than any other pics i have seen of what i assume to be the same guitar.

i know lighting can make a huge difference but the Zoo concert one looks more like this:

Gibson Custom Shop Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom VOS, Randy Rhoads White

in all the pics ive seen though (including yours above) it does not look as yellow as the linked picture - what about in person? that yellow??
It’s funny you mention this as I’ve noticed on the Popmart DVD for Mofo Edge uses a LP custom which is more yellow than cream look as well as on the Zoo TV tour.
But I’ve also noticed he has other cream LP customs with black speed knobs not the gold ones on his 75

It’s funny you mention this as I’ve noticed on the Popmart DVD for Mofo Edge uses a LP custom which is more yellow than cream look as well as on the Zoo TV tour.
But I’ve also noticed he has other cream LP customs with black speed knobs not the gold ones on his 75

He had the 1975, which he auction.

The 1973 with the black knobs.

And Gibson made him a clone of the 1975. Dallas said the got the look down perfect. Same buckles rash marks, etc. But he did say that it didn't sound the same as the original.

I contacted Gibson about the Copy they did
But they wouldn't give me info on it :-(
Its a pity Dallas didn't pull the Les Paul out
During the Premier guitar Rig Run Down

First time ive posted on here in ages
Hope everyone is doing fine and keeping
Well :)

I contacted Gibson about the Copy they did
But they wouldn't give me info on it :-(
Its a pity Dallas didn't pull the Les Paul out
During the Premier guitar Rig Run Down

First time ive posted on here in ages
Hope everyone is doing fine and keeping
Well :)

What we know about the clone, from interviews, is that it looks exactly like the auctions 1975 -- To the point that Dallas was unsure when it was delivered to him.

We also know that while it looked exactly like it, it was said that it didn't sound exactly like it.

Will it still be used? I imagine so. It didn't sound like Edge or Dallas hated it. It did sound as though it did fall a bit short to the sound of the 1975.

Back
Top Bottom