Edge's influence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWlondnr

The Fly
I've been thinking about this all day at work where they play the radio continually....I hear contemporary bands and newly up and coming bands and being a guitarist I've noticed a change in what they do in a song..... chiming riffs and bright ringing guitar tones and harmonics and song serving melodies?? Not very elaborate guitar solos etc.

Don't you think it's familiarly the same to someone we know?? :whistle:

What do you think?

If anything killed elaborate guitar solos it wasn't the Edge, but Grunge and Nu Metal.

As for what current bands are doing, I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV much. To much crap dance music, hiphop and R & f***ing B dominating the charts. The only new band I've picked up lately are the Arctic Monkeys.

Try Arcade Fire. I saw them when they opened for U2 in Montreal. They're awesome! Even U2 thinks so ;)

Muad'zin said:
If anything killed elaborate guitar solos it wasn't the Edge, but Grunge and Nu Metal.

As for what current bands are doing, I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV much. To much crap dance music, hiphop and R & f***ing B dominating the charts. The only new band I've picked up lately are the Arctic Monkeys.

arctic monkeys:drool:
But i agree - all the stuff in the charts at the moment sounds the same, very r and b (very sexist), and very dull. All this hip hop is killing elaborate guitar solos.

I think this is just harking back to New Wave early 80's bands in general.
I misread the title & thought this was about who influenced Edge. The Comsat Angels & Television come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom