Edge's Gibson Les Paul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfoster88

The Fly
hello!

Im after the name of the colour of one of Edges Gibson LP's. The one im after is the cream looking one, its the one with a '2' sticker on the back of it.

On the Chicago DVD, its the one used in Electric Co. Cream with black pick guard.

Ive hunted high and low for this color - any ideas? Ive heard a rumor it used to be white, but has gone cream through age?

his Cream LPs are Les Paul Customs, which did come in cream. . . both of them are cream. he also had an Alpine White LP that he used on the Vertigo Tour, but on the Vertigo DVD it's the cream les paul custom.

They both *used* to be Alpine White. That is what happens to the Gibson Alpine White color over time; it yellows and looks cream.

My LP Custom was made in the mid 80's and it is halfway between the Alpine White and cream color now.

AughrimFurey said:
They both *used* to be Alpine White. That is what happens to the Gibson Alpine White color over time; it yellows and looks cream.

My LP Custom was made in the mid 80's and it is halfway between the Alpine White and cream color now.

Don't tell people that! Now they know what to search for on ebay. :D

If you want the really technical reason they yellow, it is because of the clear finish over the guitar. It's called nitrocellulose laquer, and it was used on a most older guitars, before polyurethane was around. That's why most vintage guitars look so vintage. Some companies switched over to urethane, but a lot of hobby builders and small shops use the nitro to accomplish that look of aging. I think Gibson still uses that finish but I am not sure.

My apologies, i was really into the building aspect of guitars for awhile, but due to lack of equipment, I haven't gone anywhere with it yet...

Edge DOES have a cream color, It isn't alpine white. But for the Vertigo tour he did use a different guitar (the alpine white one)...If you think about it even since Edge had that guitar it has been cream not white. An alpine white guitars ca't turn cream within 7-8 years...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom