Edge's Explorer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I read that the Gibson Explorer was limited on only 58 guitars all in all. How could an ordinary student as Edge buy a guitar that was limited, so a guitar that was quite expensive I think? :huh:

spltexplorerld.jpg

...just a question that was spinning in my head....:shrug:

Edge's 1976 LE Explorer Natural Mahogony finish

Most all of the Explorers made in '76 were Limited Edition (if not all of them). The 1976 run of the Explorer is a reissue of the original 1958 Explorer, hence the Limited Edition on the back of the headstock. If you happen to come across a 1976 explorer, chances are it is a limited edition. Mine is a '77, but does not have the LE stamp on it, even though it has pretty much the same specs. The only question about Edge's Explorer that is still outstanding if it is the Mahogony body or the Korina body (of which they made VERY FEW of in '76). Most think it is the Mahogony Body. He bought it for about $500 in NYC in the late '70's while he was with his parents (Edge paraphrase, can't remember where I read it). You may be confusing your query with the limited run of the Korina body.

I have a 1976 LE Explorer. Came from a shop in NY that Edge buys guitars from... not sure if it is THE shop where he bought his.

The Limited Eds DO say so on the back of the headstock. And all 1976 Gibson serial number begin with 00.

I have a 1976 limited edition Gibson Explorer. LOVELY guitar. It was a gift from my bandmates. They bought it in NY at one of the guitar shops that The Edge buys some of his guitars. Although it was not the same shop where he bought his Explorer.

Nice indeed. Initially I just played drums in the band.

One day, pointing a copy Guitar Player (1985) w/The Edge on the cover with his Explorer... I said: "If I played guitar, I'd want one just - like - that!"

Apparently, they took note. And after I began learning and playing some guitar in the band... they decided to pool some money and search for one. I was told the search was about 2-3 years. And one day Luis and Melissa walked into 30th Street Guitars in NY... and et voila... the bought me the vintage piece of U2/Edge-y goodness.

And yes, even straight into the amp it has 'that' sound; that The Edge U2 type tone. Easy to see why he returns to that guitar from time to time.

I knew there was something bothering me about the posted pic of the explorer........the headstock is completley different. Edge has a pointy one!! Is there a reason for this?

Back
Top Bottom