Edge's Effects.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
hey folks! i just finally was able to stumble on making an Edge type effect on my Korg effects pedal. basically, it's a clean tone with ping pong delay, and black phaser.

it's pretty cool because once i click on the effect, i can edit the effect with a touch(or stomp) of a button, like if i want distortion, or wah added to the effect.

so, to keep this topic going, what effect pedal do you use, and what mix did you use to obtain that "Edge" sound?

i have a korg G3, and it works pretty well for some songs (Mysterious Ways, sort of, Bad, All I Want Is You), but i just got a Digitech RP100. I haven't set all the presets, but it sounds pretty damn cool!

Euhm...I can't really get that "the edge" sound but I can get close to it with my Boss ME-50 and my Fender blues deluxe tube amplifier.....but.....it's hard......
The ME-50 does have a lot of distortions.....which is cool..
My only problem is my guitar.....I've got a Epiphone Les Paul, black beauty.....it has a very low and hard sound, so that's not realy what you need for playing U2....

AND OFCOURSE!!....DELAY!!!!!.....ALL THE TIME!!!

I;m now working on the sound for "Elevation"....that's a tricky one

I have a very very basic setup but I'm still able to get sounds which may be describe as "Edgesque":edge:

I have an Ibanez DL9 Soundtank Delay unit. Most of you out there wouldn't have heard about this pedal as it is rare. I bought it in 1991 at an old guitar shop. It was either that or the Boss DD3. The Soundtank sounded 10X warmer and crisper than the DD3 and cost 20 bucks less and I have never even contemplated selling it since. I am however thinking of getting a Deluxe Memory Man to get that modulated delay sound of Boy, October and War.

For overdrive I used to borrow my friends Boss SD-1 pedal until recently when I got a brand spanking new Ibanez TS9. The TS9 sounds just great with the Soundtank for songs like New Years Day, Bullet, The Fly etc.

I also love the warm creamy sound I get through my Boss Wah Wah pedal.

So there are all my pedals coupled with a 1980's Fender Squier Strat and a Fender 15W amp. I have experiment a lot with my pedals to get Edge's sound and I fully understand why he moved to Digital very early on as it is a pain to keep resetting the pedals before and after each song.

Last, but definitely not least, the best effect you can use to get Edge's sound is the HERDIM pick. Yes, he gets his chingy chimey sound from using that brand of picks. The manufacturers make these picks with bumbs on the part where you have to grip the pick, but as we all know Edge uses his picks upside down so the "grip-bumbs" are what gives that ching and chime when they strike the string.

And there you have it!!!

Back
Top Bottom