Edge using a Tele for Magnificent for the tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Check todays 'countdown' to the tour clips on U2.com

They are playing Magnificent. Edge is playing what appears to be the Vertigo Tele. (Definitely a Tele). Interesting after using the Country Gent for many of the promo shows. Perhaps he felt that since the Tele was used on the album for the majority of the song (judging by the u2.com vids during the sessions)... he would go with it for the tour after all? Or perhaps he's still weighing his options.

No matter... glad to see that rehearsals are up and running and the tour is on the way!

Wow, just saw the video. I would think he was weighing his options on the promo shows and now maybe he's decided on the tele. And Adam is sticking with the Gibson RD. Dallas must be taking pictures of settings....

I thought the shows with the Gretsch sounded great. But the Tele sounds great too.

Not 100% sure of WHICH Tele is in the new U2.com video. I don't think it's the 40th Anniversary Tele (usually used for Sunday Bloody Sunday).

In the new U2.com video, it looks 'whiter' than the 'Vertigo' blonde 1966 Telecaster... perhaps it's the one from the Linear video, as someone on U2 Recording Yahoo Grp mentioned? Maybe...

Dallas needs to share those pictures/video he was taking!

Is this the fourth guitar he's been seen playing on Magnificent? I mean, in the video he's playing the Falcon, and he's been seen playing the Music Rising guitar and the Gretsch in the promo shows. And now this.

Is this the fourth guitar he's been seen playing on Magnificent? I mean, in the video he's playing the Falcon, and he's been seen playing the Music Rising guitar and the Gretsch in the promo shows. And now this.

GUITARS USED FOR MAGNIFICENT - THUS FAR:
  • A tobacco finish Telecaster (In u2.com videos leading up to the albums' release)
  • A walnut finish Gretsch Country Gentleman.
  • White Tele in the U2.com show countdown video. (video of the day for June 11) Might be the same Tele seen in the Linear film.

VIDEO BITS:
  • Bono's cadillac green Country Club (in the promo video)
  • Music Rising Les Paul (The Late Late Show). But that appeared to be a playback and the guitar didn't appear to be 'live'. Seems the reason that guitar was there as Edge gave it to the host as a gift.
  • White Tele with Bigsby tremolo in the Linear film.

Funny thing would be if he used something COMPLETELY different for the tour! Time will tell and time is getting close!

Fifth?

And if I remember correctly, a '72 custom tele for the BBC rooftop performance. EDIT: See above

Last edited:
could be a tuning issue. Mag is in standard and he may want to use his Gent for some half down songs. Kind of the way he added another Ric for this reason last tour. he had one in standard and one half down. I suppose he could get his hands on 50 Gents if he really wanted to though..who knows

M

That's a good point: he seems to associate certain guitars with certain tunings.

And if I remember correctly, a '72 custom tele for the BBC rooftop performance. EDIT: See above

You are indeed correct. He did use the 1972 walnut body Telecaster Custom that he'd previously used for "Long Walk To Freedom at the 46664 show and in the Vertigo video.

frontcover.jpg

personally, I prefer the sound with the tele, I think it gives it a bit more or a rock sound, which the song needs :up:

could be a tuning issue. Mag is in standard and he may want to use his Gent for some half down songs. Kind of the way he added another Ric for this reason last tour. he had one in standard and one half down. I suppose he could get his hands on 50 Gents if he really wanted to though..who knows

M

That is a good point. The tuning bit.

Although at some point during the last tour, wasn't he playing "Myserious Ways" in E/standard tuning and "Sometimes..." in E/standard tuning?

As for it sounding more 'rock' or not... maybe. But I found the Gent performances to sound great. The Tele Custom performance at BBC sounded great too. All in all, The Edge sounds like The Edge no matter what he plays.

I saw him play "I Still Haven't Found..." on a Les Paul and it sounded like The Edge and sounded great. Just him, Les Paul Standard, Memory Man and Vox.

Might that have been when he joined Daniel Lanois onstage in LA four or five years ago?

As a matter of fact it was! I know, I know... I've told that story a hundred times. But it's true! And it was a good show.

June 5, 2003 - 20 years to the day of the Red Rocks show. Edge playing with Daniel Lanois. [Playing slide on "Still Water" in the pic]

Edge played (3) tunes with Danny that night: Falling At Her Feet, Still Water and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

And Edge did sound like Edge with this here Les Paul. (piccy below)

lanois-edge-060503-3.jpg

thats pretty much the only model he HASNT played :lol:

I've always wondered "Why no Gibson Firebird"?!?!?! He played Lanois on Late Late Show or something like that.... I think... but other than that...

Firebirds are pretty cool. And then Adam could play his Thunderbird bass... and they'd match like an 80's hair metal band! Motley U2. (U2 Crue?)

I've never seen him play any Gibson hollowbody, like an ES175, ES137, ES295, etc etc, and those are all iconic guitars.

Actually, The Edge has used an ES175 & ES-295 - sort of - but hasn't used them on stage, as far as I've seen.

Edge used Bono's sparkle blue Gibson ES-175 in "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" video.

And Edge can be seen with his Gibson ES-295. Edge auctioned off the ES-295 in the first Icons of Music: Music Rising Auction, in 2007.

What songs was it used on? Uncertain. Possibly used on Rattle And Hum.

mraucgib4_jpg_w300h243.jpg

Firebirds are pretty cool. And then Adam could play his Thunderbird bass... and they'd match like an 80's hair metal band! Motley U2. (U2 Crue?)

I thought Mick just played strats and les pauls, and nikki played the thunderbirds :rockon: :wink:

Actually, The Edge has used an ES175 & ES-295 - sort of - but hasn't used them on stage, as far as I've seen.

Edge used Bono's sparkle blue Gibson ES-175 in "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" video.

And Edge can be seen with his Gibson ES-295. Edge auctioned off the ES-295 in the first Icons of Music: Music Rising Auction, in 2007.

Wasn't When Love Comes To Town used on the ES-295? Or was it one of his other hollowbodies? :confused:

Wasn't When Love Comes To Town used on the ES-295? Or was it one of his other hollowbodies? :confused:

Nope, that isn't the ES-295.

"When Love Comes To Town" & "Baby, Please Come Home" AND "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" [from the 1686 Dublin "Self Aid" show] were all Edge's Yamaha AE2000

ed-jt-portrait.jpg

73-1.jpg

Here is a piccy of Bono holding The Edge's guitar. There are outtakes of this in Anton Corbijn's "U2 & i"

22941_lg.jpg

mraucgib4_jpg_w300h243.jpg

Wow, cool. Thanks.

A blue sparkle 175 would probably make me piss my pants.

Wow, cool. Thanks.

A blue sparkle 175 would probably make me piss my pants.

That there sparkle blue (and the red one that Bono had) were 'custom' finishes that Gibson did for Popmart.

popblueguitar.jpg

Although Bono did use the red sparkle ES 175 until Oakland Elevation # 2 - when he smashed it against the drum riser.

After the damage:
Gibson-ES175-post_tantrum.jpg

After the repair:
Gibson-ES175-post_tantrum-repair.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bono was playing guitar and I guess his guitar kept shorting out or something and he at the end he just smashed it :hyper:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bono was playing guitar and I guess his guitar kept shorting out or something and he at the end he just smashed it :hyper:

They were playing "I Will Follow". I saw Bono looking to Frasier McAllister and pointing to the bridge pickup a few times. At one point near the end of the song, Frasier came out next to Bono.

So there seemed to be something happening with the rear pickup.

At the end of the song Bono took off the guitar and smashed it against the corner of the drum stage.

If you listen to the bootleg (can be found on U2 Torrents, U2 Start... Nov 16th 2001) A few songs later Bono apologizes to the crowd for his 'outburst'.

U2 start.com | Bootlegs | 2001-11-16 - Oakland, California - Oakland Coliseum Arena

Back
Top Bottom