edge bass/adam guitar - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:39 PM
edge bass/adam guitar

edge plays bass in 40 and adam plays guitar in it. does adam own a lot of guitars and edge a lot of basses

jw

giant lemons... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:39 PM
They might. Although its far more likely Adam loans a guitar from Edge and vice versa. After all, they also use eachothers effects/amp rigs during 40. Its probably also the only reason why there's a microphone stand in front of Adam even though he doesn't utter a word thoughout the show.

Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Babyface

Local Time: 05:39 PM
The reason why they switched in the first place is because Adam wasn't able to play the riff (which edge made up) correctly in time to finish War. I think on this latest tour Adam has used Edge's "Blacky" Fender Stratocaster but I agree that they probably both own a lot of guitars and basses just for song writing purposes.
drumu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drumu2
The reason why they switched in the first place is because Adam wasn't able to play the riff (which edge made up) correctly in time to finish War.
I always found that quite hilarious. Come on, Adam, 40's not hard...
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I always found that quite hilarious. Come on, Adam, 40's not hard...
even I can play "40"!!!!
craigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drumu2
The reason why they switched in the first place is because Adam wasn't able to play the riff (which edge made up) correctly in time to finish War. I think on this latest tour Adam has used Edge's "Blacky" Fender Stratocaster but I agree that they probably both own a lot of guitars and basses just for song writing purposes.
They switch for nostalgia/tradition, not because Adam can't play the bass line to "40," he wasn't there at the time of the recording. Adam had gone home for the day, they were basically getting kicked out of the studio so the other 3 quickly threw together "40." The lyrics are taken nearly straight from the Bible, even the 'how long to sing this song'.

Quote:
GibsonGirl: I always found that quite hilarious. Come on, Adam, 40's not hard
"40" is not harder to play than "New Year's Day," "Some Days are Better than Others," "Lemon," "Please," "Gone," heck even "I Will Follow" is a bit more challenging. The tempo is much quicker than "40." Been playing bass nearly 30 years, he could do "40" if he wanted. IMHO, it's a matter of will, not ability.

Do you have the Chicago Vertigo DVD, Slane, Boston...Popmart? Watch what Adam plays throughout, then compare to what Edge plays on '40' on bass.

You really have that low of an opinion of Adam as a bassist to think he can't play "40?"

Probably just for fun for Adam to muck about on the guitar for 3-4 minutes. Maybe fun for Edge to play bass.
thrillme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

"40" is not harder to play than "New Year's Day," "Some Days are Better than Others," "Lemon," "Please," "Gone," heck even "I Will Follow" is a bit more challenging. The tempo is much quicker than "40." Been playing bass nearly 30 years, he could do "40" if he wanted. IMHO, it's a matter of will, not ability.

Do you have the Chicago Vertigo DVD, Slane, Boston...Popmart? Watch what Adam plays throughout, then compare to what Edge plays on '40' on bass.

You really have that low of an opinion of Adam as a bassist to think he can't play "40?"

Probably just for fun for Adam to muck about on the guitar for 3-4 minutes. Maybe fun for Edge to play bass.
What the hell? I was just joking around with the much-circulated rumour, which drumu2 posted, that Adam didn't play "40" on War because he didn't know how to. Hence the wink. Of course I know he'd be able to play it. A person just starting out on bass would be able to play "40," for goodness' sake. And yes, I have all of U2's officially released DVDs/videos, plus a fair amount of unreleased footage. I know what I'm talking about.

Christ, this place annoys me.
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

What the hell? I was just joking around with the much-circulated rumour, which drumu2 posted, that Adam didn't play "40" on War because he didn't know how to. Hence the wink. Of course I know he'd be able to play it. A person just starting out on bass would be able to play "40," for goodness' sake. And yes, I have all of U2's officially released DVDs/videos, plus a fair amount of unreleased footage. I know what I'm talking about.

Christ, this place annoys me.
This place amuses me for the most part actually. I've only been posting here about a year or so, I lurked for a few years before, but sometimes this place is a bit boring, well the predictability of how some threads will turn out gets boring.

This topic isn't one that gets discussed much, so it was something new to read.

I have no idea how much people on this forum know about a given U2 topic on a forum, I'm not willing to part with $12 to be able to use the search feature or private messages, so I pretty much have a clean slate with anyone who posts. Though I have seen one or 2 by you that were making a dig at Adam.

I figured you being a guitarist familiar with U2's songs...could figure out Adam can play it, but not everyone who might come across this thread, someone might think Adam really couldn't play it. Okay so I directed it at you, but when I post, I also keep in mind others, especially newer people who get into U2, that might stumble upon this thread and read it. Never know who is going to read these forum threads.

Someone might believe that rumour but perhaps after thinking about it, considering the other songs I mentioned, could figure out he can play it. I mentioned one of U2's most famous songs, "New Year's Day", if I really wanted to make my point specifically to you, I could've said 'go listen to "Pop" and tell me he can't play the "40" basslines'. Perhaps I should've thrown "Vertigo" in there, perhaps that would've been a better choice than "Some Days are Better than Others" but at the same time I wanted to pick some of Adam's better stuff for potential newbies to check out.

I assume someone with a lot more posts than me must have "Pop" but I don't assume a newer fan, who maybe liked "Vertigo" and wanted to find out more about U2, is going to have "Pop."

Sarcasm is not easily picked up on a forum. <--that's a wink, that green one looks better suited for tipsy drunk than 'just kidding.'

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmm, looking back at my original post, pretty good typing for being half asleep.

thrillme is offline   Reply With Quote